Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 What is your max range with a trad bow? >

What is your max range with a trad bow?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

What is your max range with a trad bow?

Old 02-18-2008, 06:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What is your max range with a trad bow?

It does depend on the situation and how I feel about the shot. There are times I can look at an animal at 30 yrds and "know" I will hit it. Other times I question much closer shots, but generaly 20 yrds...

Wyvern
Old 02-18-2008, 06:57 AM

I wish it were that easy to answer. But it is not. For most hunting situations on whitetails I would say inside 20 yards. Larger animals 25-30 yards. Main thing the shot has to feel right.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:07 AM
COB

If it's just "shooting" for fun, if I can see it I shoot at it! Love to see arrows fly. Hunting is a very different story, 0 - 25 is my limit!
Old 02-18-2008, 08:04 AM

Same here 20yds max hunting distance for me with my 51# Chek-Mate Hunter II
Old 02-18-2008, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

My regular practice sessions reach out to 40 yards and I'm pretty confident about my gaps out to that distance. Now, the furthest shot I've taken on any animal paced off at 29 paces. I estimated her to be 30 yards. She was veryslightlyquartering away and calmly munching on soybeans. It was one of those times when everything just felt right, so I pulled up, set my gap and sent an arrow through the back part of the rib cage taking out both lungs. She never even pulled here head up out of the beans until the arrow was already through her. I don't setup for shots that long, but every now and again, one will present itself. I look at each situation and base my decision to take the shot on how the animal is behaving and the overall feel of the situation. More often than not, Iend up passing on shots much over 25 yards but everyoncein awhile I'll look at a situation andit just feels right.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:10 PM

I would say 20yds, but those two does I missed at less than 15yds this season may have another opinion. [:-]
Old 02-19-2008, 06:12 AM
Banned

I was stumping yesterday and NAILED a leaf at about 45 yards.

When the shot feels right, take it. When it doesn't, don't.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Used to be I was very comfortable with anything under 30 yards. I was a darn good traditional shot. Nowadays, after years of wear and tear, it's 15 yards and lessthat's slam dunk distance for me.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess I'd have to say 23 yards. LOL That's how far my buck was away last season and I only missed the mark by a few inches.

In actuality I didn't think he was that far because I was on the ground and he looked big as a house (much larger than my little grazing buck McKenzie 3D that I practice on.)
It was a quick decision, a broadside shot at a big target and it actually LOOKED easy. I can't explain that?

In any event somehow my mind and body made it happen from a funky shooting angle no less. It's amazing how the human computer works sometimes.

I would have to say that my true "effective" range or where I feel very comfortable on deer sized game is probably out to about 18 yards. 15 and under finally seems nice and close.

I'm actually going to move some of my stands around this year to get them lower to the ground with more back cover and only make 1 trail out in front (at about 10 yards) available to shoot at. That way I'll have a better angle in and not worry about having to make a longer shot all around me.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

20 max for hunting although that is subject to change. I have been practicing regularly at 25 and I'm feeling pretty good at that range. It would all depend on the situation that day.

Quick Reply: What is your max range with a trad bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.