Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

1st question of many

Old 12-18-2007, 04:48 AM
Bartender

Default 1st question of many

Longbow or recurve? I want something to use that I can hunt from the ground and tree
and it wont kill me pulling back. I remember back in the 80's pulling I believe a recurve back
and holy mack it was pretty rough on me. This will probably be preference but I would like to
run it by you all.

Thanks for the patience with me,

P.S.- I will be doing more research via google search giving this a try.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:58 AM

Default RE: 1st question of many

Everyone has told me to start with a light weight recurve. Recurve supposedly has an easier learning curve. The light weight (been told #30-#35 to start) is for perfecting the form. Yer form should be excellent by the time you consider moving up to hunting weight.

Go Vikes,
Dave

EditSpelling error..
Old 12-18-2007, 05:48 AM
Bartender

Thanks Dave.

<---------------
Old 12-18-2007, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Recurve is more forgiving then a longbow,Find a use 40#recurve and practice.....
Dberrard is correct...........
Old 12-18-2007, 07:34 AM

I've flipped flopped back and forth between both and I shoot the about the same.... I actually feel more accurate with a longbow, but I find my recurve more forgiving on average....

I would start at 40-45 lbs and work your way up... Trust me on this, dont go out and buy a 55lb recurve from day one. You will not be able to shoot it comfortably....
Old 12-18-2007, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Recurves are generally cut closer to centershot, and that makes them less critical on arrow spine. So, it's easier to find arrows that will shoot well from them. Most recurves have a long sight window similar to a compound, so it will give new switchover shooters a better feeling of familiarity.

On the other hand, longbow grips are almost exactly the same as on modern compounds, so recurves don't have it all on the familiarity scale.

Other than those few things, smoothness of draw, arrow speed, forgiveness have to be judged when comparing individual bows nowadays. I've always rated recurves a little easier to shoot well than longbows, but that's probably because I shoot recurves better than I do longbows. Guys like Chad, who shoot better with longbows than with recurves, will rate the longbow over the recurve.

It'sactually a matter of personal preference. No way to really tell which type bow will work best for you until you've shot at least several of each. But I still think a recurve is the best starter bow for a traditional newbie.

Get one long enoughthat it is at least twice your draw lengthand with a draw weight light enough for you to hold full draw for at least 10 seconds before you start shaking.

I've never liked the idea of telling someone to start with a really lightweight bow. People are put together differently and one person might really need a very light weight, someone else might be a real gorrilla and be able to use something much heavier. A bow you can handle is essential to learning good shooting form. Just be honest with yourself where that limit lies. We're setting you up to be a good traditional shot, not looking to win any he-man contests. [8D]
Old 12-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to say to start with a recurve, i by no means am a expert, but heres my conclusion. I started with a recurve, and shoot good. So there![8D]
Old 12-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Fork Horn

If you are shooting a Compound, the majority of peple will not be able to pull an equal recurve or longbow back. When I switched from compound I started with a Recurve, 50# draw, and a few months later I shot my first longbow and have been shooting that ever since. So shoot both and see what you preffer, but start with lower poundage, see if you can handle 40-45 pound at your draw length if not go lower.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:01 AM
Bartender

Thanks Rich, I plan on giving 45 a try.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Tony:

I bought a longbow.....because I just liked the looks of them, better. I also had shot a recurve a LITTLE.....25 years ago.....and never liked it.

On the other hand, longbow grips are almost exactly the same as on modern compounds, so recurves don't have it all on the familiarity scale.
Exactly. I love the grip on my longbow.

I started with a 50# @ 28" longbow (montana) and I've never looked back. I've shot a friend's recurve....and I just (personally) don't care for the shot. To me.....I also feel more "traditional" with a longbow in my hand (I was trying to get AWAY from the gadgetry).

Good luck in your search.

Quick Reply: 1st question of many

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.