Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Nock placement ?

Old 12-12-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Nock placement ?

I have been shooting my Coyote for a couple of months now . It has been shooting great . I noticed that the spot on the riser that I use for shooting at 20 yrds is quite high up . So , I nocked an arrow (28") and measured the tip of the arrow to the tip of each limb . It came up as 39.5 to the top limb and 41 to the bottom . It seems to me that the arrow should be perpindicular to the string . Making the measurment from the tip of the arrow to either limb the same . BUT , that would only be true if you were to pull the arrow instead of the string during the draw . I'm still shooting with a release . How do I know the correct nocking point ? Or should I leave well enough alone ? Thanks for any info you could give me .
Old 12-12-2007, 07:29 PM

Default RE: Nock placement ?

The arrow for a bow is rarely perpindicular to the string. A proper nock placement for every bow is slightly different. I usually start at 1/2" above the shelf and adjust according to arrow flight. If your arrow is not kicking up and down, then your fine. If the nock is3/4 to 1"high and your arrow is pointing down, that usually indicates an over spined arrow.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yea, don't be concerned with the measurement that you took. It sounds about right. The measurement to be concered about is above the 90 degree point of the shelf to the string. Usually the nock point is about 1/4 inch to about 3/4 above that point (this is if you shoot off the shelf, if not use the 90 degree point of the rest).
Old 12-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most bowyers mark the center of the bow, put the grip just below it and the shelf just above it. It'd be best if you could put both the grip and the arrow both on the vertical centerline, but one can't be where the other is. So, they just try to get both as close together as they can and work the tiller so the bottom limb is stronger in order to compensate for everything being off-center. That makes the string measure closer to the riser on the bottom than on the top.

In other words, the string isn't parallel with the riser anyway. Some bowyers actually do put the shelf on the centerline, more often with longbows than recurves, but then the bottom limb is tillered even stronger, so that it measures even closer to the string than on a bow built the 'standard' way. .

Your measurements are exactly what I'd expect to see. Set your nocking point in relation to your rest or shelf - whichever you shoot with - adjust it for best arrow flight and accuracy, and then quit worrying about it.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:23 PM

Sounds good , thanks . It's shooting well , so I'll leave it alone . My next trick will be to ditch the release and go with a glove . One step at a time .
Old 12-23-2007, 03:59 PM

start with a 1/2 inch and work up or down from there.....jpw