Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 this "spine" predicament is getting me frazzled.. >

this "spine" predicament is getting me frazzled..

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

this "spine" predicament is getting me frazzled..

Old 10-26-2007, 02:10 PM
BKE
Fork Horn

Default this "spine" predicament is getting me frazzled..

Or maybe it's Carbon Express that's doing it. I've posted before that I'm shooting the Heritage 250's from a 45# recurve (Bear cheyanne/57"/45#@28") and mosteveryone saysthey are overspined, that is except the guy at CE's technical help desk, he recommended the 250's and here at the shop (possibly because he cut them at 30" ?).

I'm looking at the arrow selection chart in their 07 catalog andon the chart of hunting shafts (Heritage)they do not give a differantrecommendation for compounds vs. recurves whereas looking at their target shaftschart it doesand that has me wondering why.

I'm going to have to remeasure my arrow lengthbecause I'm thinkingtheymeasured 30 in. and if so then they are calling for the 250's but if I'm shooting 29"s then theycall for the 150"s.

Another thing I see under select the correct arrowis a matrix that calculates the "adjusted bow draw weight" and that doeshave a recurve option.Would it be appropriate to use this adjusted weight with their chart?

While I'm at it I might as well ask another question.I was following the arrow weight post and am curious, if my shaft are 29" with all componants they come in at 475gr. (approx. 10.29 per/in) and 30"will add11gr. to the total,will they dothe trick for whitetail?

Sorry for all the questions but I know I have to get it figured out. No sense in flinging arrows that won't fly right because of incorrect spine, I can make them do that all by my-self[].
Old 10-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: this "spine" predicament is getting me frazzled..

Another thing I see under select the correct arrowis a matrix that calculates the "adjusted bow draw weight" and that doeshave a recurve option.Would it be appropriate to use this adjusted weight with their chart?

While I'm at it I might as well ask another question. I was following the arrow weight post and am curious, if my shaft are 29" with all componants they come in at 475gr. (approx. 10.29 per/in) and 30" will add 11gr. to the total, will they do the trick for whitetail?

Thank goodness for easy questions. Yes and Yes.

Don't just go by the spine charts though. Just as oftener as they get it right, they get it wrong. The correct spined arrow for you is the one that flies best and most consistent from your bow. Period. Spine depends almost as much on how clean and consistent your release is as it does on anything else.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:32 PM

Default RE: this "spine" predicament is getting me frazzled..

The 250's at 30" are over spined....

150's at 30" may work. You would be better off going with a 2018 at 30" or a 35/55 at 30". Carbon arrow charts are pretty much worthless for trad bows. They are spined for compounds off a rest with a release aid that causes paradox to be vertical. Put it this way, A customer of mine shoots a recurve that's60#'s athis 28" draw. Heritage 150's cut to 29" bop with a 125 grain head bare shafts perfectly for him.

And yes, your bow/arrow weight set up will kill a deer.