Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Got a Predicament!!  Need Pointers >

Got a Predicament!! Need Pointers

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got a Predicament!! Need Pointers

Old 08-17-2007, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default Got a Predicament!! Need Pointers

Alright, My archery season opens on Sept. 15 this year. Usually it opens Oct. 1st. The way I bowhunt, I find alot of acorns where the deer are eating them and I hunt there. this year however it will be open before the acorns start falling and the deer are still browsing. When the deer browse around here they are all over the place, not really walking trails or anything just kinda here and there. i thought about trying some corn piles, but what do you guys think my best bet would be? Suggestions Please....
Old 08-17-2007, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Got a Predicament!! Need Pointers

Do you have any crops, where you hunt? What's the main food source now? Is water readily available or only in a few isolated spots? Is there a known bedding area..that they must leave or return too, depending on time of hunt?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

No Crops, the area is thick they could bed almost everywhere, they are just browsing on alot of younger plants and leaves.. Also it is going to be really hot,
Old 08-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Corn untill the acorns drop and areas that lead to the bedding area. I guess??? Any beans around you? If so look for runs going into them or what ever crops- food plotyou may have.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

Nothing around but pine trees, and a few patches of oaks,
Old 08-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

Food, Water, and Shelter. Where do they eat? Where do they drink? Where do they bed? Look for a pinch point or funnel between a couple of these places and be patient.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

I like the corn that has been dipped in molasses. It is like deer crack! I get mine by the pallet load from Southern States, but I'm sure you can find it other places.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:40 AM

id say find the major food source and find a good couple trails and set up about 10-15yrds in the woods right on the food
Old 08-18-2007, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have honeysuckle, or any places in those pines that have recently been clearcut and have fennel and regrowth (and if that clearcut has a low spot that always holds water espeicially) then they can be real hotspots.

Otherwise, I would still hunt around the oaks... keep an eye on when those acorns start dropping and make sure you are there and ready for it.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your allowed to use corn in your state buy some of the new "Acorn Rage" and spread it on some corn and it will draw the deer in.We're not allowed to use any bait here in Mo. but we can use salt or minerals and we plant lots of food plots.With the dry weather we have been having here and aearly freeze this past spring that is going to hurt our acorn crop it is going to be tough hunting deer so I will be hunting near a water source and close to some of the mineral licks we have made over the past several years.