Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Little Help on a new bow >

Little Help on a new bow

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Little Help on a new bow

Old 10-23-2007, 10:05 AM

Default Little Help on a new bow

I'm lookin to buy my first recurve bow. I dont want to spend an outragious amount of money but i want something that will shoot well and last a while. Another thing i was wondering was what draw weight should i start at. I want to be able to hunt deer with it at some point. Anything would help... brands, specific bows, draw weight, length? Thanks ya'll.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Little Help on a new bow

There is a lot of info on here on pretty much the same thing you're asking.

A few of the big things:

If you are coming from compound shooting, expect to loose about 1 1/2 inches of draw. Since you mentioned deer hunting, check your local minimum draw poundage and go with about that for your first bow at your draw (in general 40-45 pounds). In general,a recurve maybe easier to learn on then a longbow or selfbow. Try to get to a bigger shoot and try a few used bows out. If you can not do that go to a reputableon-line classified site (or used bow site). More then likely, you may want something different after a year or so. A used bow should not loose too much value.

Get a few videos to begin with. My favorites are by Byron Ferguson, John Schulz, and Paul Brunner.