Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Where to get good feather fletching?? >

Where to get good feather fletching??

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Where to get good feather fletching??

Old 01-14-2003, 02:04 PM

Default Where to get good feather fletching??

Just got 2 - 50 count bags of Gateway Imitation barred, shield cut feathers. Imitation barring is awful. Only on one side and sometimes so lite you can't really see it. Having alot of problems getting them to glue up good also. About 4 out of 10 just won't stick. Using Fast fletch gel, 2117 arrows; cleaned with acetone and rubbed with 00 steel wool, using a Jo Jan jig. Never had this problem before. Wonder if it's just a bad lot?

Anyone have any suggestions on where I can buy some better shield cut barred 5" feathers?
Old 01-14-2003, 04:27 PM
Kip
Fork Horn

Default RE: Where to get good feather fletching??

CT, I should have my feather order sometime this week. I ordered mine from 3 Rivers. The ones that I have seen from there looked very nice. 3 Rivers has good prices too.
I was told by a few people that Gateway does not have the quality of feathers.

Old 01-14-2003, 04:32 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I like Tru-Flight feathers myself. Lots of dealers carry them--Lone Wolf, 3 Rivers, etc.

Chad

Long Bows Rule!
Old 01-14-2003, 10:50 PM

I use both Trueflight and Gateway and feel they both have their good and bad points.

Trueflight: Good colors, nice thin base, excellent imitation barred. Sometimes the base is too wide and I have a difficult time getting a good chop when the base twists in the chopper.

Gateway: Good colors, nice narrow base that give me excellent chopping results, love the camo patterns. Imitation barr is horrible, sometimes the base on Gateway is a little too thick to look just right.

Essentially, I use both. I like chopping the Gateway more; I get really good results there. Both feathers glue just fine for me but I'd have to give a slight edge to Gateway because that narrower base seems to sit on the shaft better.

If I could have Trueflight's immitation barr, Gateway's camo, and a combination of thin and narrow base from one feather dealer I'd be a happy camper!

Guy

Old 01-15-2003, 03:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was told there is a new imitation barred coming out, should say is out but you have to ask for it. The colors are much better then the older colors but if you dont ask you get the old stuff that needs to go out. I believe its all truflight stuff though. Just some food for thought......
Old 01-15-2003, 06:27 AM

I’ve used the Gateway "camo" feathers with good results, both in flight and aesthetics. If I want barred feathers however, I use wild turkey feathers.

Old 01-15-2003, 03:25 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

I don't think your adhesion problem is with the feathers. Remember, these companies don't "make" them, they only grind and shape them. The quills are all the same material, no matter which comany does the processing.

JRW
Old 01-15-2003, 07:18 PM
Spike

I use Gateway feathers and have no problems with them at all. The imitation barred feathers I get look good to me but I also use real barred feathers as well. They are hard to see however and I plan on using my favorite chartreuse color for hunting from now on. One other good thing I like is I can buy 100 imitation barred 5" shield cut Gateways for $29.00. The solid colors are about $27.00 I think. Try and find Tru flights for that. I have used Gateways for years and will continue cause they work for me. I also use Fletch tite on my AL shafts and let them dry for 30 minutes or more. Never had one fall off. It just takes a little longer to do up a dozen. I use duco on the cedars.

Strutter

Old 01-19-2003, 04:25 PM

Thanks guys. Just got some new tru-flight feathers. Glue up great with no problems. Must have been a bad batch of Gateways!!!!