Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Question about "distance" shooting >

Question about "distance" shooting

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Question about "distance" shooting

Old 08-16-2007, 05:30 PM

Default RE: Question about "distance" shooting

The most important thing about practice a long distance, at least to my way of thinking(I am an oldtimer, been doing this stuff over forty years and still learning)is that it will let you know how well your bow is tuned. Yep, that's right, your tune on a stickbow is as important, if not more than on a compound bow. We can get fooled at ten, twenty, and even thirty yards. We get the idea that every thing is cool, but we can always do a little better. I not talking about fixing things that aren't broken, but most of us have no idea how accurate our stick and strings can be. Case in point are the shooting machines that most bowyers and compound manufacturers have, place either one in a machine and the darn thing will shoot to the same hole time after time after time at incredible distance. If my arrow is straight and level, flying point first, without kick, or dip at fifty yards, it is likely to be doing the same at ten or twenty. Start close, and then when you think you have it together, shoot ten yard further. If that looks good, ten yards further, if you have problems, back it up twenty and be real objective about what you see. Bare shaft tuning is my favorite, I then do a final tune by shooting broadhead tipped arrows along with field tips over twenty, twenty five, to thirty five yards. Make adjustments to get the two shooting to the same spot. This is where distance can be a real friend. Just a thought, just my opinion, and we know that my opinion and one dollar forty will get you the large cup of coffee at MacDonalds. Now that I am off my soap box, I would like to hear what others think. Love this forum.....
Old 08-16-2007, 08:08 PM

Well, that's fine but what do you make adjustments too? All I can think of would be the nocking point?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Brace height and nocking point are the two main adjustments on longbows and recurves. The rest is tuning the arrow, mainly tip weight and length to get the proper spine and turning the nocks to fine tune your fletching orientation.

One other thing you can do to your bow is you can vary the thickness of the strike plate to fine tune the bow's centershot. If your arrow spine is showing slightly weak, but the next arrow spine up is too stiff, you can go with a thicker strike plate. Or go a bit thinner for one that's slightly stiff. You can usually find bags of leather scraps of different thicknesses at hobby stores.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:44 PM

Cool. Why do some bows offer "cut past cenetershot" risers?
Old 08-17-2007, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Redneck Bowhunter

Cool. Why do some bows offer "cut past cenetershot" risers?
To allow for the diameter of the arrow. They try to get the center of the arrow in the centershot position. If you shoot tournaments or competition, you have to be awareof the rules on centershot.

Very good post blackwidowbowman.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:38 PM

you guys are cool with the advice. Right on the money. Im a recurve and all you are saying sound right Im going to try it soon as it gets cooler out here. Thanks!
Old 08-17-2007, 09:05 PM

ORIGINAL: catchemrob

you guys are cool with the advice. Right on the money. Im a recurve and all you are saying sound right Im going to try it soon as it gets cooler out here. Thanks!
What kind of laminated wood are you???LOL.

I couldn't resist.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

LOL .
Old 08-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

What is the max distance you can shoot with a longbow, and still be accurate enoughto kill a deer?
Old 08-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

20-25 yards for me right now.