Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 RE: My son, at a loss here and need help please...... >

RE: My son, at a loss here and need help please......

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

RE: My son, at a loss here and need help please......

Old 08-02-2007, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: My son, at a loss here and need help please......

Hey folks,

Whats a single mom to do?? I have been a deer hunter for the past 18 years and so far have excelled at it, problem is I hunt with a rifle and muzzy...only.
My son who is 8 now has had a recurve now for two years. He is on his second, both I got from Cabelas and both just a size difference due to the fact he has really grown not only in his height, but his arm length and strength too.

He to date has shown an interest in guns only for plinking and target shooting. His first love is his recurve. The first year I just got him a hay bale to shoot into, field tips only. Last Christmas and birthday ( 4 days apart, lol) I got him his first 3D buck target and some new arrows w/ field tips. He is very accurate at 20 yd shots, hits the boiler room 7-9 times out of 10, is 4'7" tall and weighs 97 lbs. My way of thinking from what reading I have done and folks here I have spoken with is that he needs to work now on his draw and accuracy???
He has told me over and over again that he does not want a "robo bow", no offence to anyone that shoots other than recurves ( heck, I am a rifle hunter. ) .
Any suggestions or tips would be very much appreciated.... I certainly do not think he is ready to hunt with his bow yet but.....will be taking him with me this year on our acreage ( when I hunt ). It is important that he learns the patience, discipline and quietness it takes. The observation part he has down pat. He has scouted with me, helped track and been with me when I have field dressed.

Thanks in advance folks it is very much appreciated!!!

P.S. Chad, if ya read this shoot me an email. Methinks your son is about the same age??

Thanks again!!
Old 08-02-2007, 05:41 AM
Banned

I doubt he can pull a hunting weight bow at this point.

As for draw and accuracy ? Let him figure out what works best for him. He's already done that it sounds like, and is a pretty good shot ?

If you're lookig at a way to increase time spent with him, buy a recurve and take to the field, you and him, and do a 1/2 day of stump shooting. Loads of fun, say .. $0.25 a shot
Old 08-02-2007, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Duane,

Thanks for the input it is appreciated. And you have a good point....although I have never bow hunted. It would be very much of a help for him if I showed interest in it. Pretty sure I could hit some stumps....I was pretty good back in the day when I was a girl scout. I was just always a shooter, and then started hunting. Go figure.

He would love it if we would do something like that! I have tried and tried to get him interested in gun hunting and he is steadfast that he wants no part of it. Does not think it gives the deer a fair advantage. Go figue and this is from an 8 year old?? When I pride myself on one shot, one kill hunting....sheesh. He tells me that with practice he will be just as good with a bow someday. For some reason I do not doubt that at all because he is very determind. Go figure....the branch does not fall very far from the tree I suppose.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd say to keep it as fun as possible at his age. My son has been shooting since he was 6 (just turned 12) and I always have to remind and train myself (more so then him) that I have to keep it as his pace not mine, and let him have fun.

For instance, I took him out turkey hunting this year for the first time. He was able to keep his focus on that for about 2 hours. After that it was "can we look for some chip monks?", so guess what we did for the rest of the morning?

Since you don't shoot, can you take him to a trad club? I know ours offers a small summer camp for children. Maybe call around and see. Also, maybe have some good videos around the house so he can see how others shoot.

One he may enjoy is Hittem Like Howard, John Shulz's youngest son shoots 1/2 dollar, quarter, nickel, and a dime thrown in the air with his longbow. I recently bought Bob Brunner's instructional video which I like. I think it is a very realistic video and Bob shows all of his shots, not just the good one's. Both of Byron Ferguson's videos are good as well as Masters of the Barebow DVD(my son likes watch Ron LaClair - he looks just like Santa Clause). If there are any trick shooters in the area, make sure you take him to watch. Sometimes they will be at some major shoots or conventions.

The other thing, I'd mention is to find a variety of targets, use ballons, and fun stuff to shoot. Double Creek here on the forum downloaded a bunch of targets including Osama (one of my sons favorites). YOu can also buy some styrofoam craft stuff that can be painted, thown on the lawn and shot at also.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are a lot more critters in the woods than just deer, and it's also called HUNTING when you go after them. Deer chauvinism has gotten to be a genuine pet peeve for me.

The boy can certainly draw enough for small game. The skills learned from hunting small game are very adaptable to hunting deer. Also, he'll love it because there is a lot more action in a day's shooting than hunting deer. (It can be a sore trial for an 8 year old, sitting on stand waiting... and waiting... and waiting....) It's close range shooting, so his accuracy is plenty good enough. And with the small size of the critters, it's usually either a clean kill or a clean miss.

So, in addition to taking your son stump shooting and letting him get accustomed to shooting in the field, turn him loose on rabbits and squirrels. All he needs is the proper arrow setup. I'd recommend small broadheads backed by Muzzy Grasshoppers. No blunts or judo points for anything other than stumping, because his bow most likely won't have enough power to kill by shock alone.

You might have to scurry to keep coming up with new recipes to put his kills on the table but the benefit is you won't have to choke down so much chicken.[8D]

http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=110/182.0.1932.0.0.0.0

I have been a dedicated small game bowhunter ever since I was younger than your son, Christine. Nearly 50 years of hunting later, I still love it. In fact, now that the back and knees are shot, I prefer it. It's a lot easier on the ol' fart to pack out a string of bunnies than dragging out a deer and loading it up in the truck.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

PM sent.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

Got it and Thank You!!!
Old 08-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

There are a lot more critters in the woods than just deer, and it's also called HUNTING when you go after them. Deer chauvinism has gotten to be a genuine pet peeve for me.

The boy can certainly draw enough for small game. The skills learned from hunting small game are very adaptable to hunting deer. Also, he'll love it because there is a lot more action in a day's shooting than hunting deer. (It can be a sore trial for an 8 year old, sitting on stand waiting... and waiting... and waiting....) It's close range shooting, so his accuracy is plenty good enough. And with the small size of the critters, it's usually either a clean kill or a clean miss.

So, in addition to taking your son stump shooting and letting him get accustomed to shooting in the field, turn him loose on rabbits and squirrels. All he needs is the proper arrow setup. I'd recommend small broadheads backed by Muzzy Grasshoppers. No blunts or judo points for anything other than stumping, because his bow most likely won't have enough power to kill by shock alone.

You might have to scurry to keep coming up with new recipes to put his kills on the table but the benefit is you won't have to choke down so much chicken.[8D]

http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=110/182.0.1932.0.0.0.0

I have been a dedicated small game bowhunter ever since I was younger than your son, Christine. Nearly 50 years of hunting later, I still love it. In fact, now that the back and knees are shot, I prefer it. It's a lot easier on the ol' fart to pack out a string of bunnies than dragging out a deer and loading it up in the truck.
I could not have stated this better myself.

I've bowhunted bunnies, squirrels, turkey and varmints besides deer.