Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Chek-Mate Greybark?

Old 12-31-2002, 11:01 AM

Default Chek-Mate Greybark?

What wood is the greybark riser? Anyone have an opinion on the looks (and if it's worth the price)? I haven't seen a really good picture yet so I can't tell anything about it.
Old 12-31-2002, 12:15 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Chek-Mate Greybark?

The Greybark and camo woods are just different colors of actionwood--the greybark being dark grey. I prefer the look of natural woods myself, but I have seen a Crusader made from greybark and it looked nice. If you have seen the standard Black Widow bows, they are made from actionwood and they have some grey models.

Chad

Long Bows Rule!
Old 12-31-2002, 01:35 PM

That's what I thought, but why the extra cost? Seems every other bowmaker that uses actionwood has it standard. I think a greybark with elm limbs would look nice, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to fork over the extra cash.
Old 12-31-2002, 02:04 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Actionwood costs them considerably more in Canada, so they have to pass it on. That is one reason Osage is not offered--it costs a lot more for them to get, and they have found no significant benefits to using it. If you compare prices, you will find that even if you went with Actionwood you can get a bow cheaper than even many of the Bear or Martin bows. On the other hand, some material costs less and that is passed along as well--you can get Macassar ebony veneer on both sides of the limb for 1/2 of what I have seen it advertised elsewhere (not referring to anyone that has posted on this board). I haven't looked around in a long time, but I believe they offer yew limbs a bit cheaper than many others also, because they have a good supply. Greybark doesn't cost a lot more, but I understand being on a budget.

Chad

Long Bows Rule!
Old 12-31-2002, 08:57 PM

I just ordered a Firebird in the Autumn Camo actionwood. I actually like the actionwoods better than the regular woods, always have. Like LBR said check out some pics of Black Widow bows, their SA and MA series of take-downs are offered in 2 colors of actionwood.

PBB

Pick a hair.....or a caruncle!!
Old 11-09-2003, 01:05 AM

Further bad news is that maple has jumped 500% in the last few years. It now costs more than cherry or walnut. Then to make it into actionwood, they have to remanufacture it. Birch is used in some of these materials, but actionwood was always maple as far as I know. Though the actual amount of wood is pretty tiny in any bow, except for TD risers. Average longbow might use 1/2 bft, so even with 50% waste, in natural wood, it' s just in the area of ten bucks.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

Ya can' t beat actionwood for pc to pc consistency, & performance is top knotch too, w/lots of hi-end target limbs still being made from the stuff. Now as far as looks...well personally, I really do like the workhorse " utilitarian" look of it (& for the most part it' s as tuff as it looks) but IMO one sure couldn' t consider it as beautiful. Luckily there are many gorgeous wood specimens suitable for use in bow building, & just as many fantastic bows to choose from. Sorta seems like everything in our sport is a trade-off doesn' t it? Thank goodness there are so many great choices out there today!
Old 11-09-2003, 09:27 AM

Isn' t Actionwood a lamiate of wood and phenolic? I am an avid pistol shooter and I have seen many pistol grips made of material that looks like Actionwood and is referred to as a laminate.

If these are the same thing, one of the real benefits of Actionwood, as I understand it, is that the lamiated material stabilizes the wood. No shrinkage or what ever other maladys confront wood.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

I hope this doesn' t sound like a really stupid question, but what exactly is actionwood??
Old 11-09-2003, 01:20 PM

I don' t know if it' s worth the extra cost. I have a C-M Falcon with the greybark riser with blk. glass limbs. I really like the looks of it for a hunting bow. It' s very difficult to locate if you lean it against a tree. I spent about 5 minutes looking for it at a recent 3D shoot. I went to retrieve my arrow and started back to the stake, and thought someone had stolen it.

Rem. 222

Quick Reply: Chek-Mate Greybark?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.