Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

new to trad archery

Old 04-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default new to trad archery

Hey Everyone, This is my first post in the Traditional forum, and i'm sure you get this question a lot but:

I am 18 years old and have been shooting a compound bow for about 8 years. I have currently a hoyt trykon with a 28'' draw and 68lbs (with80 % letoff)

I really want to get into trad archery, and am looking to purchase a new recurve bow. Like i said i am very much new to this aspect of archery and any imput is welcome.Thanks so much.

KP
Old 04-30-2007, 01:47 PM

Default RE: new to trad archery

The best advice I could give you is to start out with an inexpensive used bow. One that is 40#'s at your draw legth. If 28" with a compound it will be 26 to 27 with a trad bow. Practice with that set up before moving onto a new custom bow. Work on your form before worrying about hitting a bullseye at 20 yards.

Start at 10 yards with a blank target. Just practice good form until it becomes natural. Then, practice by tossing a tennis ball in a field and shooting two arrows at it with judo points or an ace small game head. Retrieve and do it over and over. That's the best practice for instinctive shooting.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:20 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Welcome to the board, and to our addiction!

You will find there's gobs of advice to be garnered and opinions all over the place. Most all will be honest, based on individual experience, but this is a very personal journey. The internet is a mixed blessing for traditional archery--lots of great advice out there, but lots of not so great advice also--the catch is being able to tell the difference.

Do a lot of research, learn about proper form, don't start out too heavy, practice, and most of all have fun!

Chad
Old 05-06-2007, 06:23 PM

look at the tra/arc mag in this issue talks about shooting with your back. back issue talked about up draw that realy works if your mus. are not ready.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:20 PM

Purchasethe book "Beginner's Guide to Traditional Archery" by Brian J. Sorrells, it has helped me out a bundle. I wish I had this book before I started, and done a wee bit more research, would have saved me some time and $$.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Guys!
Old 05-27-2007, 12:57 AM

I just got into to trad also. I have been shooting compounds for about 15 years. I did a lot of homework and found that Chek Mate make some incredible custom trad bows at an affordable price. I just placed an order with recurves.com (user name LBR on HNI) this last week, but in the mean time I purchased a used recuve 45lbs@28" so that I know what to expect out of my custom when it arrives, and to learn the proper way to handle and shoot these types of bows. It is a completely different animal than what you are used to. My compound is a '05 Bow Tech allegiance set at 29"X70lbs. If you are anything like me you will love the change. I just don't know why I didn't try trad years ago.