Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

fread bear

Old 04-03-2007, 10:11 AM

Default fread bear

JUST GOT MY FIRST FRED BEAR MONTANA LONG BOW
Old 04-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: fread bear

How do they shot becuase i was going to get one. I have a browning and martin recurve right now. I have not got to shot in months becuase i had surgery. I had to have my shoulder fixed. But now it is fine.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:21 AM

GOOD SO FAR FIRST TRADITIONAL BOW. I HEARD LONG BOWS ARE MORE FORGIVING THAN RECURVES. MINES A 60# AT 28" DRAW AND I HAVE A 32" DRAW SO IT HAS SOME PULL TO IT
Old 04-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TROPHYHUNTER25

GOOD SO FAR FIRST TRADITIONAL BOW. I HEARD LONG BOWS ARE MORE FORGIVING THAN RECURVES. MINES A 60# AT 28" DRAW AND I HAVE A 32" DRAW SO IT HAS SOME PULL TO IT
More forgiving? Depends what your definition of forgiving is? I think longbows are much more difficult to shoot, and shoot well. I had wanted to get a longbow as my first traditional bow, but went after shooting a couple of each side by side, it was no doubt the recurve for me. Much easier learning curve in my opinion. I have four recurves now, and love 'em all! Its a ton of fun no matter what you shoot!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

TROPHYHUNTER25, congrats on the new longbow. I've thought about getting it but I changed my mind. But sometime I'm getting a traditional bow.
EnglishHope
Old 04-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

the Montana is a tad on the rough side, but not nearly as shocky as say, my Pearson "Ol' Ben" longbow (Both are serving a tour of duty in Camp Cuervo, Iraq at the moment)...

when you get more familiar with the bow, you may want to replace the grip leather and reshape the grip with a rat-tail file.

other than that, they're not bad for the money.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:05 AM

what i mean by more forgiving is its very hard to torque a longbow but easy with a recurve
Old 04-05-2007, 05:20 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Longbows, to me, are generally more forgiving of shooter errors. Recurves (in general) are more forgiving of arrow spine.

I didn't like the grip on the Montanna, but most folks seem to be happy withthem.

Chad
Old 04-06-2007, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am quite happy with mine and am shooting it very well within realistic hunting distances.
I put a flemish FF on it andLBR is building me a D97 Flemish for it as well to try. It's smooth drawing to my 30ish" draw length but even with mine being a 55# @ 28" I couldn't imagine drawing it to 32". I think I'd be off to the doctor.[:-]You must be a horse to get that puppy to 32" with it being a 60# @ 28, because my 55# is hitting 62# at 30.5" and that's as much weight as I'd want and I AM a horse. LOL

That thing has to be well over 70# at 32".......you sure your DRAWING 32"?

If you are saying "it has some pull to it" I'm going to go out on a limb and say you may be more than a touch overbowed for your first longbow!?

Regardless I really like mine, it has nice workmanlike good looks and seems to shoot where I look so I'm good to go.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:07 AM

i'm gonna agree with matt, have you checked your draw length for a Trad bow?... also you should make sure teh bow can hold a 32" draw or it could be dangerous. I have a friend who has teh Montana, he loves it and shoots the lights out.

Quick Reply: fread bear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.