Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 1 over and 2 under our 3 under? >

1 over and 2 under our 3 under?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

1 over and 2 under our 3 under?

Old 01-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 1 over and 2 under our 3 under?

Well in have been shooting split finger,but i am going to see if i can geta better group with 3 under. If i can then i am going to start shooting that way. I mean i have not be shooting long with recurves so i want to switch now befor it becomes habit.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

3 under. I just taught myself that way and no one was around to teach me better. I think when I started, can't really remember now, I had problems with the split in that I kept rotating the arrow off the rest (because I was pinching too hard?).
Old 01-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have recently switched to 3 fingers under (mostly pressure on the top 2 at release) and my accuracy has gone way up..........when I set my draw, take my time and anchor properly I'm smacking arrows at 10 yards. That's a start!
I recently bought a DVD by Scott Antczak (sp?) who shoots 3 fingers under and he uses a cheek anchor rather than the corner of his mouth? No matter how hard I try I just can't feel anything consistent like that and whap the heck out of my nose about every other shot. Not sure what the deal is but I think I'll stick to the corner of my mouth.

One thing I have noticed with the new American Leathers glove I bought (with inserts) vs the Damascus one is that I really beat my face up on the release on a lot of shots and I don't know what I'm doing wrong? With the thinner Damascus glove I get a nice clean release and no contact but with this thicker one I really zap myself pretty often?
It's like I'm hitting myself with the glove and the string at the same time?
Really comfy.[:@]
Old 01-15-2007, 09:57 AM

I originally learned to shoot a bow split finger, But last year when I started shooting a recurve again I decided to try shooting 3 fingers under (Apache Style) and found that to be much more accurate for me. You see I use my arrow a my sight. Sort of like looking down the barrel of a shotgun. I know with my arrow and bow combination that I can aim dead on with the tip of my arrow at 20 yards and hit there. I anchor with my middle finger in the corner of my mouth. It basically took me about 6 months to figure out what style of aiming and variety of anchor points worked for me. Try different ones out. This method works for me. In fact last thursday night. I crushed my personal best score with my Chek-Mate Hunter II (PSAA Indoor Round, Basicallly a single target face vegas round). I shot a 373 out of a possible 600. Much much better than the average 250's I shot last year. I shot with different styles and a different bow (1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum) last year. But I attribute my increased proficiency to finding a system that works for me, lots of practice and a great bow that is a pleasure to shoot.

Hey Matt/PA you should shoot with our team at the PSAA States in HBG this year. We have a team of Recurve and Longbow Shooters. I know you'd have a ton of fun with us and we're always looking for new guys to join the team. By the way did I mention we are the state record holders for recurve and longbow?
Old 01-15-2007, 04:53 PM

Is it true that a bow has to be tillered a certain way to shoot 3 under?
Old 01-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's best to tiller the bow for 3-under if you intend to always shoot that way, but it's not absolutely necessary. You can do quite well with a conventional tiller just by raising the nock point some. Or, if the bow is really stubborn about tuning for 3-under, you can use an elevated rest.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

well i have to get useto the idea of three under. I have been trying it and am hitting good but I cant stop hitting low becuase i am use to split finger.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

Give it some time. It'll take you alittle whileto get use to the new sight picture. It'll come together after a bit.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know that is y i am waiting to see how good i can get with 3 under.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

3under

Hatchet jack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.