Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

It's Quiet...

Old 01-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default It's Quiet...

.... Too quiet.

Off topic, but I wanted to share with my friends here.

My son has left home. The recruiter picked him up yesterday to take him to Dallas. By now he's taken his oath and is at D/FW airport waiting on the plane to take him toFt Jackson, SC for basic training. I've spent the last 19 years dreaming of the day my wife and I would have the house all to ourselves again and now... It's like all the life has drained out of the place.

It dawned on me yesterday as we were saying goodbye that it was the last time I could hug my little boy. It's an awesome thing, seeing the kid you've sweated blood over while getting him through school, coaching him in little league, trying to steer him through all the trials and pitfalls, suddenly stand up on his own two feet and show you he really is the man you were trying to get him to be. God, I'm proud of him.

And I miss him.

Here's to my son.Private Taylor P., United States Army.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:59 AM

Default RE: It's Quiet...

Man Arthur, that was touching!

God bless your son and all the troops for what they do!

Serves as a gut check for me with 2 little boys and another in the oven.... I'll try not to take that for granted as much as I do!
Old 01-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Art, you're making me cry here.

Congratulations on steering yourson through his first nineteen years. I'm sure you did a great job!

Old 01-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I understand the mixed emotions. Our oldest left for college this year, and we just dropped her off again this past weekend after being home for a month on Christmas break.

I took basic at Ft. Jackson in '85. About this time of year too.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Best wishes for your son. I still remember the day my father took me to the recruiting office to leave for boot camp. That was almost 25 years ago. Now my boys are almost old enough to do their duty (if they are so motivated). At least it is much easier to keep in touch these days. I went from snail mail and land lineswhen I entered to email, text messagesand cell phones when I retired. Quite a change.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hope things go well for your son Art! My son is growing up way to quick, soon to be 12, I miss the stuff he used to do when he was younger. I also love the stuff he does now. He's a good kid as I'm sure yours is, God Bless!
Old 01-15-2008, 10:41 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations Art! I did my basic at Ft. Jackon--at least he's not going through in the summer!

Just be proud of the job you did, and look forward to the stories he will have to tell.

Chad
Old 01-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Be proud of the job I did? Hell, I made so many mistakes it's a wonder he survived. [:-]But it looks like it worked out okay in the end.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

congrats and God speed. may he be safe and keep us safe. you should be proud.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:57 PM
bigcountry

Sounds like you did a good job Arthur. You did your job well.

I know this is aweful of me. But if all goes well, I will be a father of a boy here in about 2.5 months. And all I can selfishly think about is, get thru the next 18years, and get my life back to normal. I have got so set in my ways, I just can't imagine changing. I know I will change my mindwhen he comes,but right now, I am ready for him to be grown up.

Quick Reply: It's Quiet...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.