Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 I'm thinking a recurve is superior. >

I'm thinking a recurve is superior.

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

I'm thinking a recurve is superior.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:52 PM

Default I'm thinking a recurve is superior.

I have been pondering the dynamics of Elk hunting and how my style jives with my equipment. I've thought of the weird and surprising angles at which the bulls have come in and how many times I had to make adjustments, click on my release etc. I seriously think that bow hunting elk is better done with a recurve. It's quick release is the key. I also will go in after a bull if it is hanging up, and again the advantage goes to a recurve. Maybe it's time to dump some of my gear and focus on a simplier style with an emphasis on hunting and not equipment.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'm thinking a recurve is superior.

There's nothing wrong with recurves, but I've had good success with a stripped downcompound and finger release. Don't know if your bow is suitable for that though. You'd likely need to change your rest, unless you shoot a whisker bisquit, which some guys shoot well with fingers.

But like I said, nothing wrong with recurves. I'd shoot a bow with enough weight for elk, say 65 lbs or so. A good fixed blade broadhead and an arrow with some mass will get the job done.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I've thought of the weird and surprising angles at which the bulls have come in and how many times I had to make adjustments, click on my release etc.
Sounds like you spend a lot of time not being ready for the moment of truth.[8D]
Old 01-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Muley, I don't think there is any doubt that recurves allow a lot more flexibility in hunting situations than compounds do. They are far better than compounds when you have to act fast or lose an opportunity... especially when you're hunting in heavy cover and those elk just suddenly appear, close enough to blow snot on you.[:-]

By the way, I think it stinks that some moderator didn't think this was an appropriate subject for the bowhunting forum. Don't know why pondering whether a recurve might be better suited for certain hunting situations than a compound would be any different than comparing single cams to duals and hybrids, or fingers release vs mechanical release, or carbon arrows vs aluminum. It's definitely a bowhunting question and most certainly falls under the guidelines to be allowed on that forum.

If we're not allowed to mention traditional gear on that forum any longer, I won't be participating there again. [>:]
Old 01-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

By the way, I think it stinks that some moderator didn't think this was an appropriate subject for the bowhunting forum. Don't know why pondering whether a recurve might be better suited for certain hunting situations than a compound would be any different than comparing single cams to duals and hybrids, or fingers release vs mechanical release, or carbon arrows vs aluminum. It's definitely a bowhunting question and most certainly falls under the guidelines to be allowed on that forum.

If we're not allowed to mention traditional gear on that forum any longer, I won't be participating there again. [>:]
TAP TAP TAP......
Old 01-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive just got into recurve and longbow shooting in the last year and iam hanging up my compound(s).Going totally trad this year.
There are some people that think us trad shooters are not worth the time of day,because they are so selfcenterd on the compound.I was at a cabelas in Rogers Mn and no one would even say (can I help you)when I was looking at there poor inventory in trad gear.But when someone walked up to the counter with the compounds,they were all over em.I did e-mail cabelas about this and they called me.I explaned what happend,the day time and what I was wearing.I think they looked at thier vidio.
Anyway we as recurve or longbow shooters are frowned on by alot of compound shooters.They think there(u-know what)dont stink.
MYSELF I dont care what you shoot as long as you are good at it.....

Old 01-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

Interesting perspective. When I told my co-workers that I bought a recurve and am learning to shoot instinctively, they acted like I was the archery snob. They were just joking around but as they either have shot traditional and modern bows or are familar with both, they believe traditional archery is much more difficult and seem to respect that.
Maybe the folks at Cabelas prefer to assist those interested in compound equipment because that's what they shoot and there is a lot more after market "stuff" to add. I don't know if they get a commission but I'd rather sell a compound bow with a new sight, rest, stabilizer, limb savers, string silencer and all the other goodies than a recurve and the basic accessories.
Just my two cents.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:49 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

My experience at the Bass Pro headquarters earlier this year was similar, but I found out after talking to the guys (very young guys) behind the counter that they just didn't know squat about trad bows--if I'd needed any help, they couldn't have offered it. They did seem to know a lot about compounds though.

Dunno why the thread was moved, but it's welcome here.

One of the main reasons I swapped to trad bows was for the sake of simplicity--I missed a slam-dunk shot on a nice buck (I think I literally could have killed it with a big rock--it was that close to my tree) because my sights got bumped (no doubt about it--left the woods and checked). Quick shots and awkward shots are much easier, to me anyhow, with trad bows. Some shots that we have at trad tournaments would be very difficult or impossible with a compound. One I always loved when I went to mixed shoots was the super-close shot--it drove the compound guys nuts.

Over-all, I think trad bows are better suited for hunting.

Maybe it's time to dump some of my gear and focus on a simplier style with an emphasis on hunting and not equipment.
That pretty much says it all.

Chad

Old 01-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

My basic recurve and basic needs for that recurve ran over 600 bucks,I know I can buy a compond with said items for around 400 bucks.But thats not the point.The point is some(not all)compound shooters snub there noses at us trad shooters.
The whole reason I went to trad shooting is that after 23yrs of shootingcompounds I felt it was no longer a challange,witch is why I went from rifle hunting to compound to start with.Now I just want a harder challange,my friends think Iam nuts for going to recurve.I just tell them dont knock it till youve tried it.
Just to make it even,I know trad shooters that wouldnt give me the time of day at the range when I was there with my compound.
so it goes both ways.
I can now say Ive been on both sides of the fence.
One dosnt realise it untill youve been there.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

B O G that is a vaild point BUT......I would rather have customers come back and by more then not have that customer not come back at all.

Quick Reply: I'm thinking a recurve is superior.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.