Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Fast recurves

Old 12-20-2006, 08:13 PM

Default Fast recurves

Hi. Can anyone tell me if there is achart to find out the arrow speed of a bow. I am looking to see the differences in speeds of different recurves. Or if anyone can tell me what the fastest one-piece recurves are. Thanks. Tine
Old 12-20-2006, 09:21 PM

Default RE: Fast recurves

I think Border Archery has the fastest tested recurve... Better bring your check book when you go shopping for one of those....
Old 12-20-2006, 10:02 PM

Not with traditional archery. Each bow's speed is determined by the bowyer's design and type of wood used. But, even if you find 10 of the same bow's with the same woods, they will all shoot different because the wood is never the same. Different trees, moisture content etc..

Old 12-21-2006, 12:23 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Too many variables. I've read and heard reports, read test results, etc. etc. etc. and who is fastest depends on who you want to believe or what report you read. Of course my bet is that in at least some of these tests/reports you aren't getting average results from an average bow--at least not from what I've actually seen compared to what I read. Then you have folks that could care less about getting a test done on their bow, differences in individual archers, etc. etc. etc. There are some that are a tad faster than others, but among the better bows on the market, there's not enough difference to make a real difference, at least for the big majority of us.

Chad
Old 12-24-2006, 04:28 PM

black widows are amazing bows
Old 12-25-2006, 07:50 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Funny you mention BW--I was practically quoting Ken Beck with my above reply. In a phone conversation earlier this year, he told me "there's not a nickle's worth of difference in performance among the better bows". The folks at BW make a nice bow, but there's a lot of folks making a lot of excellent bows these days.

Chad
Old 12-25-2006, 08:30 PM

listen to the guys who've shot LOTS of bows .......... 5% difference MAYBE in a $1,000 bow vs a $200 bow

personally, a Silvertip recurve I had seemed to shoot the fastest of any bow I've owned for the poundage. An ACS is right there too. I've heard the Border bows are very nice. Widow's were not that fast IMO. A DAS is suppose to be sweet
Old 12-26-2006, 12:20 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

5% difference MAYBE in a $1,000 bow vs a $200 bow
Yep--and how many of us are so borderline in draw weight that a couple of pounds is going to make the difference? I hope that, if I ever get to a point where 5-10 fps makes the difference in a kill and a wound, I will have the good sense and discipline to hang up bow hunting.

One more thing--Fred Bear killed an African bull elephant with one arrow back in the 60's (I think--need to watch the video or read the book again) with one of his bows. He was pulling 75# (again, I think--it was less than 80#, may have been 70#)--just how much better do we need?

Don't get me wrong--I like a bow with good speed, and shoot a comparably fast bow, but I think the emphasis winds up in the wrong place--on speed, more speed, and nothing but speed. Proper tuning, arrow flight, and (especially) accuracy mean much, much more.

Chad
Old 12-28-2006, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the input all of you. Tine