Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Question for crusader owners >

Question for crusader owners

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Question for crusader owners

Old 11-16-2002, 07:14 PM
Spike

Default Question for crusader owners

I have had my crusader for 8 or 10 months and still can't get it as quiet as I would like it. I have 2 other D style longbows that are basically soundless when shot. Is it possible to get the crusader this quiet? I have tried many different things and it still seems noisy to me. Don't get me wrong, it is pretty quiet but am I asking to much by comparing it to my other bows? It's more of a lingering vibration sound than anything after the shot. It is a very fast and comfortable bow to shoot and I shoot it well but that little bit of extra noise irritates me for some reason. You guys got any ideas?

Thanks,
Strutter

Old 11-16-2002, 07:24 PM

Default RE: Question for crusader owners

try tying your cat whiskers on with a wire tie, the type you use on a bread bag and move them until you get the optimal silence.
I really don't mess with mine to much I use two sets on my strings the set closest to the limb tips is approx 1" and the next set is approx 1.5 to 2" I just mark my string with a sharper at the 1/3 and 1/4 marks and place my silencers there. fold the string in quarters and mark and then fold in thirds and mark. I have found that for me string silencers work better for me towards the limb tips.
I really do not stress over the placement that much because I can get more results tuning the brace height, nock alignment and arrow spine/weight.

Old 11-16-2002, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cant say mine is whisper quiet as I do have one bow quieter, but at 10 yards you cant even hear it go off in the woods. My crusader is still pretty dang quiet. Its all in the tuning and arrow weight. Not to mention how clean of a release you have will also effect how much noise the bow puts out. Arrow weight is the quickist way to get rid of noise though.....
Old 11-16-2002, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

I cut one set of cat whiskers in half and placed them at the 1/4 and 1/3 sections of the string. It looks like I've got a ton of stuff on my string, but the weight is the same as one set and it really helps to quiet the bow. I also have a Selway QD stick quiver on the bow and when I listened to a friend shoot it from 5 steps away, I couldn't hear anything but a very soft thud.

You might also check your brace height. It could just need to be raised a little bit.

Make em sharp and shoot em straight, or leave em home.
Old 11-16-2002, 08:06 PM
Spike

What brace height do you guys use? My arrows weigh 538 gr and my bow is 54@26. I have one set of cat whiskers on with one at 1/3 and the other at 1/4 of the string. Do you guys have 4 cat whiskers on yours? I only have 2 set at the above places. My string is a 450+.

Thanks,
Strutter

Old 11-16-2002, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Twanggggg!!! Try a DF-97 string. It works great with my Crusader. I only have one set of cat whiskers, the brace height is about 7 9/16", and I am shooting laminated birch arrows with 125 gr broadheads. My bow is VERY quiet.

Bill

Praise the Lord, He is worthy
Old 11-16-2002, 08:27 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Both of mine are braced at around 7", with Dynaflight strings. My bud shoots carbons, fairly light ones, and his Crusader is very quiet. A little tinkering with brace height and silencer placement can go a long way--and it can vary some from bow to bow and shooter to shooter.

Chad

Long Bows Rule!
Old 11-16-2002, 09:19 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, I agree with LBR that it depends on the bow and the shooter. I set the brace height on mine at 6 7/8" to the deepest part of the grip and I shoot three different weight arrows from it. Aluminums at 498g, parallel cedars at 525g and tapered cedars at 580g. Not to mention the odds and ends that I use for stump shooting. The weight of the bow is 54# @28" and is 66" long.

Make em sharp and shoot em straight, or leave em home.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:43 AM

My Crusader is pretty quite also. Agree with you that it's not an unbearable noise. Do you guys prefer the rubber or fur type. I've heard good and bad with both. Does either one seem to quite the bow better.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:58 AM

I have used both fur and rubber, seem to work about the same for me.
I have TWO sets on my string, like wahya said i start with a catwhisker that is full length and then cut it in half, I use 1 set at the 1/3 and another set at the 1/4 mark and trim the two sets closest to the limb tips a little so that they are shorter.
My brace height that I have settled on on this particular bow is 7" the bow is 66" 54#@28". Shootting arrows a little over 620 grains.

Quick Reply: Question for crusader owners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.