Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 2 weeks until my date with destiny - semi live hunt planned >

2 weeks until my date with destiny - semi live hunt planned

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

2 weeks until my date with destiny - semi live hunt planned

Old 10-18-2006, 04:39 PM

Default 2 weeks until my date with destiny - semi live hunt planned

3 years ago I was hunting a ranch in Kansas, and had just gotten into my stand when a doe appeared. This same stand my Dad had shot a 160" buck in 2 days before. Right behind this doe was a buck. He was ....... maybe 26" wide, 12-16" tines, clean 5x5, not heavy in mass, but incredibly impressive. 180" ? 190" I dunno .......... she had seen me climb into my stand and never came more than 50 yards from me.

My Dad, having filled his tag, was standing 1/8 mile from me, just observing wildlife, and he watched that buck and doe ( after the left me ) for 2 hours that afternoon.

We named this buck PitchFork, because his antlers were tined that tall and high.

2 weeks ago, not 200 yards from that tree, a buck was seen. This buck was seen last year, but the validity of what he looked like was questioned. Not anymore. He's become (assuming its the same deer) an honest 30" monster typical whitetail with heavy mass, huge body and he's almost never seen. This buck ....... is what I am hunting in less than 14 days. I will have my digital camera every minute I'm in a stand. If he appears, I will at least photo him. If he comes close enough, if I'm lucky enough, I will bring home this whitetail.

He is what dreams are made of, he's what makes you sit in your stand, freezing cold. He's what makes you skip lunch, take vacation time, drive 600 miles, pay $400 for tags and license and miss your family.

That I'm even on property that holds such a buck is special enough, and friends that let me come share that land.

I will do a semi-live hunt where every night I will upload pictures of the days sightings, success, lack of, country we're hunting etc etc. I did this on Trad-gang last year and my friends and family in Arkansas really liked it. I think everyone else did too.

2 weeks, 600 miles, my Dad and myself and good friend Mark, western Kansas, one Adcock longbow, weighted carbons tipped with G5 Striker broadheads ......... and one buck that will break the Kansas state record for archery.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:08 AM

Default RE: 2 weeks until my date with destiny - semi live hunt planned

Stealthycat.......Is that you?
Old 10-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Spike

Where at in western kansas are you headed to, Im from the Garden City area. Are you huntin with an outfitter?? But that sounds like a deer of a lifetime. Make sure to post up your pics, if you get em I'd like to see that monster. Were gona be headed out there pheasant huntin in a few weeks, and were defianatly gona take our bows along. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:47 AM

Sounds exciting! Good luck buddy!
Old 10-19-2006, 02:56 PM

Stealthycat.......Is that you?
shhhhhhhhh the evil powers that be will delete this username, I'll have to create another, blah blah blah ...... it gets old after a while ..........

I hunt NW Kansas - Garden City is more SW isn't it ?

The Pheasant hunting will help kick the deer out of the plains/praries and down into the brushy creek bottoms we hope
Old 10-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Spike

yeh garden city is in southwest kansas, but we mainly hunt around the Leoti area. Its more in the central part of western kansas. I wanna try to get a chance at one of the big mulies out there this year. We live in eastern kansas now, saturday is gona be my first deer huntin, and it's gona be with a bow. All I know is my dad talks about how much funstalkin monster mulies in western kansas is, and if I dont get a deer here were definately gona have to spend a few more days in western kansas. Good luck this year
Old 10-19-2006, 05:17 PM

I look forward to reading it. I've up and moved my family from IL to CO in August. My few trips to the mountains Elk hunting changed me forever.

But right now I'm in the early stages of withdrawal from not getting more than about six scattered days of bowhunting in Sept. I'm used to hunting whitetails from Oct to Jan. and hunting like a lunatic in Early November. By mid November I'm not sure what condition I'll be in.
I just know that next year will be another story once I can buy as a resident here in CO.

I hope skiing can somehow fill the void.

Good Luck and post lots of pics.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:09 PM

non-res cannot get mulie tags except for a vey few muzzleloader - and they're hard to get. MONSTER mule deer in w kansas . shhhhhhhhhh

Hobbes - you'll love Colorado if you can afford it ! I lived all over it in the late 1990's ........ Glenwood Springs was my favorite place to live I think, Pagosa Springs a close second, Montrose a close third
Old 10-19-2006, 10:39 PM

"If you can afford it", If that isn't true I don't know what is. The cost of housing is incredible. I knew it when I applied for the job but I wanted the job, I wanted the mountains, and I wanted the new bowhunting opportunities. And to top it off, my wife approved of the move. So here we are.

I'm living just down the road from Glenwood Springs. I'm living in Eagle-Vail, working in Avon, and waiting for next years hunting.

I'm going to eventually startfishing in the Eagle River to make it between bow seasons. The Eagle is supposed to be Gold Medal water. I just wonder if it compares to the North Fork or White near Mountain Home?
Old 10-20-2006, 09:39 AM

I grew up 1 mile from where the White River and Norfork meet - your trout fishing will be very dissappointing in Colorado compared to what it is in northern AR. A lot of people and a few little trout was my experience.

I was in Glenwood before the big fire of .... 1993 was it ? I found sheds EVERYWHERE that year.

You want some fun ? Driver about 40-50 miles south of Grand Junction, towards Delta, and take a left on a road that leads you up to a tower you cansee 3/4 up the Grand Mesa. Drive as far up as you can, park, and look for sheds. I found mane, many sheds in there when I lived in Grand Junction.