Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 does anyone at sportsmans stores have a clue >

does anyone at sportsmans stores have a clue

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

does anyone at sportsmans stores have a clue

Old 09-05-2006, 09:20 AM

Default does anyone at sportsmans stores have a clue

was at a certain store in hamburg yesterday and almost bought a Bear Patriot long bow. It was the B. Fergeson model and was about 175 off of what it usually costs. I was there the day before and saw the bow ( which was strung) and wanted it, so went back. I asked the guy at the counter if they un-string the bows every night. Guy looked at me like I had three heads. I couldnt bring myself to buy the bow knowing it had been on that wall for who knows how long strung. There were Martin Serengetis on the wall where the strings were coming undone from being strung so long. Just struck me as odd. Guess its another year with the 67' pearson. That bow amazes me,has almost ten years on me and still shoots the lights out.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: does anyone at sportsmans stores have a clue

Most proshops I've been in display what few trads they have strung , I seriously doubt that any had ever been let down once . Caveat emptor .
Old 09-05-2006, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's a big debate about unstringing your bow. If it's an all wood bow most say unstring it. If it's a laminated bow or has glass most say it won't hurt it to stay strung. I'm not so sure this applies to longbows as much as recurves. If it's a great buy unstring it and see how much string follow it has. May not be a problem at all.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:06 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It won't hurt any laminated bow I know of, as long as it's stored properly. My bows stay strung indefinately--I unstring them when I need to put them in a case and/or travel (except my selfbow).

Back to the title of the thread: usually the answer is "no". Even at the Bass Pro Shops main store in Springfield, MO I saw very little trad gear, and the young men behind the counter knew next to nothing about trad bows. I know there is a knowlegeable guy working at the Bass Pro in Memphis (ask for Murray if you go there) and a manager at the archery dept. of the Bass Pro in OH (forget the town--just across the KY line) knows a good bit (ask for Kevin), and I think there's at least one guy at BP in Nashville (can't remember his name)--but generally speaking, it's hard to find someone that knows much more than the difference in a longbow and recurve.

Simple fact of the matter is the money is in compounds and accessories, so that is what they push and know the most about. The only reason you see a lonesome trad bow here and there is because the sport has been growing a lot. Folks that have a traditional business are generally in it because they love the sport--it's hard to just make a "get-by" living for most, and very few are going to die rich from it. It sure is a lot of fun though!

Chad
Old 09-05-2006, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Personally, I listen to what the bowyers have to say. And there are mixed feeling on the subject. I leave my recurves strung. Most will agree that most of the limb problems occur when stringing up a recurve. As Chad has stated it will not hurt anything to leave it strung. And it sure is easier to grab the bow and shoot without stringing it.
But on the other hand, OL Adcock states that it is important to unstring his longbows when not in use. As such, I alway unstring the bow he made for me when I'm done.
If you are interested in that bow that you mentioned, I'd give Bear Archery a call and ask them what they think. If nothing else, you should get piece of mind form it.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:20 PM

this was good info for me, iv been depowering my rebel when not in use,, but after reading this i see its not all that critical for short tern to leave it strung, thank!,
mike
Old 09-07-2006, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

where i live they dont have a clue. they just want to sell you something!!!... Good stuff about leaving the bow strung or unstrung. I would say that the weathermore so thanleaving your bow strung or unstrung will have the biggest effect on how long a bow will last(outside of heavy use)Glassed limbs are pretty durable. leave it unstrung if you have kids around alot gettin into stuff... you never no what they might do when your back is turned.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:48 AM

The reality is most "Hunting Pro's" at these Sports Stores today, are not HUNTING PRO'S. What they are, are salesmen - period. And most are clueless regarding traditional equipment.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you are interested in that bow that you mentioned, I'd give Bear Archery a call and ask them what they think. If nothing else, you should get piece of mind form it.
Just thought of this. You may want to e-mail Byron Ferguson himself. In the past he has gotten back to me pretty quick.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

if the pearson works...dont fix it