Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Clue me in...A/C/C's >

Clue me in...A/C/C's

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Clue me in...A/C/C's

Old 01-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Clue me in...A/C/C's

Ok guys that shoot A/C/C's. I'm seriously considering them for next year. Almost to the point where I know I'll get them.

A few questions though.
[ul][*]What size would I need? #65-70lbs 27.5" arrow.[*]How heavy are most of your finished arrow weights, with a 100gr head?[*]How's your FOC with the heavier GPI shaft and a 100gr head?[*]How is the overall durability of the shaft, given the fact it has the aluminum core?[/ul]

Thanks in advance
Old 01-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Clue me in...A/C/C's

ORIGINAL: Matt/TN

How is the overall durability of the shaft, given the fact it has the aluminum core?
Wouldn't this make these the MOST durable.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

How is the overall durability of the shaft, given the fact it has the aluminum core?
Aluminum can bend
Old 01-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

Aluminum can bend
Not as likely when it's just the core. I'm going with ACCs I think too MAYBE. I believe you'll get a better/more consistant spine as well, if I understand right.What are you going with.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Matt,

I've been shooting ACC's for the last 4 years and for durability I would say they are no more or less durable than standard carbon shafts. I have bent some, but I believe that had they not bent the carbon would have splintered on a regular carbon shaft. Of course, I have no way of proving this, but I've shot both for a while so I don't think carbon would survive what bent the ACC.

I would recommend a 3-49 for your set up, perhaps a 3-60. You're kind of on the line. I was in the same boat and cut an inch off of my arrows so I could use 3-49s.

My finished arrows are 371 grains before weighting. That is with arrow wraps, 2" Blazers, Unibushing and G Nock, aluminum inserts, and a 100 grain head. I add weight tubes to get my arrows up around 425 grains.

My FOC is around 10-11% and I cut the weight tubes short and leave them in the front of the arrow to help with that a bit. The FOC is not a huge deal to me because I shoot expandables, but I do like to practice longer shots so having it above 10% is good.

As far as how I like the arrows, I love them. The only thing that has made me consider changing is the fact that FMJs are heavier and would allow me to not need the weight tubes. I could also use the Smart Tracer nocks in them if I could ever find them again. Right now I doubt I'll change though.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

Matt,

I've been shooting ACC's for the last 4 years and for durability I would say they are no more or less durable than standard carbon shafts. I have bent some, but I believe that had they not bent the carbon would have splintered on a regular carbon shaft. Of course, I have no way of proving this, but I've shot both for a while so I don't think carbon would survive what bent the ACC.

I would recommend a 3-49 for your set up, perhaps a 3-60. You're kind of on the line. I was in the same boat and cut an inch off of my arrows so I could use 3-49s.

My finished arrows are 371 grains before weighting. That is with arrow wraps, 2" Blazers, Unibushing and G Nock, aluminum inserts, and a 100 grain head. I add weight tubes to get my arrows up around 425 grains.

My FOC is around 10-11% and I cut the weight tubes short and leave them in the front of the arrow to help with that a bit. The FOC is not a huge deal to me because I shoot expandables, but I do like to practice longer shots so having it above 10% is good.

As far as how I like the arrows, I love them. The only thing that has made me consider changing is the fact that FMJs are heavier and would allow me to not need the weight tubes. I could also use the Smart Tracer nocks in them if I could ever find them again. Right now I doubt I'll change though.
That's the info I was looking for. I was looking and it looks as if a 3-49 should be alright.

What size are you shooting Bry, and how long?
Old 01-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Dominant Buck

[ul][*]What size would I need? #65-70lbs 27.5" arrow. [/ul]
I went with the 3-71's......since fps on the shots I take wasn't an issue out of my Ally. I'll shoot 3-71's out of my 8nd, too.....for the same reason.

[ul][*]How heavy are most of your finished arrow weights, with a 100gr head? [/ul]
My hunting arrow weighs 427gr.

[ul][*]How's your FOC with the heavier GPI shaft and a 100gr head? [/ul]
Clueless. Over my head. Sorry.

[ul][*]How is the overall durability of the shaft, given the fact it has the aluminum core?[/ul]
Last year.....in fewer shots at animals.....I broke probably 4-5 shafts. This year....I bent or broke none.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:23 AM

All of these aluminum/carbon hybrids are quite durable. You probably want the 3-49 (.390 deflection)series for a bow in the mid 60's toupper 60lb.draw weight range, with the shorter 27.5" length. They are rated at 8.8 gpi. - just a tad lighter than the ST Axis.

For a little longer arrow at 70 lbs, or with a 125 grain head, I would go up to the 3-60 (.340 deflection)which is supposed to weigh 9.5 gpi. Finished arrow weight with a 100 gr. head is going to be a little under 400 grains with the 3-49 and a little over with the 3-60. These shafts are really smooth and straight.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

ACC 3-49's for over 8 years, and off and on prior to that.

27" arrow with 100 grain points and Blazers weigh in 381ish grains depending, mine do.

FOC is well above 10% but I'd have to do the math, I have excellent flight, have for years and group mulitiple fixed blade heads. You get away with heavier as Jeff did.

Yes, they bend but not very easily. I've shattered more than I've ever seen bent.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

Matt,

That's the info I was looking for. I was looking and it looks as if a 3-49 should be alright.

What size are you shooting Bry, and how long?
I shoot 3-49s at 26.5". I usually shoot around 67#s.

I went with the 3-71's......since fps on the shots I take wasn't an issue out of my Ally. I'll shoot 3-71's out of my 8nd, too.....for the same reason.
Jeff, how long are your arrows? Being overspined isn't a terrible thing, but 3-71s are some pretty big arrows. Just curious.

Quick Reply: Clue me in...A/C/C's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.