Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Wow, 450plus is loud

Old 08-30-2006, 07:02 PM
bigcountry

Default Wow, 450plus is loud

I read peoples books saying the new bowstring material is louder. But nobody warned me how much. I got one of Chad's strings 450 plus, and it definatly performs better but has noticable noise compared to dacron.

My brace hieght is at its max. I have beaver puffs on my longbow. Not sure if there is anything else I can do. Arrows are flyin better than ever. Uusally the cedars are so quiet, but even those contribute alot of noise.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wow, 450plus is loud

I hada 450+ string on my Zipper Extreme and it seemed very quiet.I also used regular old rubber cat whiskers.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:23 AM
bigcountry

Jim, I keep wanting to get up with you. But since getting married again, I seem to have been busy all summer. Now fall has caught up with us. Maybe sometime in Sept. you might be available to watch me shoot.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:37 AM

I use 450 + with cat whiskers and it isn't loud at all. Check the your set up. Is it the string that is loud or is it your arrow wacking the shelf or something like that?

There is a way to get the most out of your string silencers. Here goes. With the bow strung measure the distance between the contact points of the string with the limbs. Place your catwhiskers/beaver balls, etc 1/4 of that distance from each limb/string contact point. Example:The distance between contact points is 56." 1/4 of that distance is 14." Place your string silencers 14" from each end contact point.

This technique supposedly has something to do with harmonics or something. All I know is that it works.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:51 AM
bigcountry

Well, let me put it this way. If I was to shoot my 550gr cedars with the dacron string 20 yards away, I bet you could not hear it. I bet I could easily get off two shots at a deer. I was amazed how quiet. Its all relative. Your 450+ is not loud compared to???. I mean my bow is still alot more quiet than recurves I see. Just relatively its louder. You see what I am sayin?

By the way, thanks for the silencer tip. I set them up 12" from the tips. My sting is 59", so might move it down to 15" and see if that helps.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:19 AM

Remember, don't use the string length to calculate where the silencers go. Use the distance between contact points on your limbs with the bow strung.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:14 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Lots of things will make a difference, and some materials are louder on some bows. From what I've seen (heard), a material that's loudest on one bow may be the quietest on another. I shoot Dynaflight '97 on my personal bows, and get comments all the time on how quiet it is.

The right silencer material will make a difference. I love the look of fur silencers, but in my experience rubber "cat whiskers" work the best. As missedagain pointed out, where they are placed can make a big difference also. I've tinkered with a few short bows, and when the silencers were moved 1" it made a big difference.

Another thing we often don't consider is the pitch--a higher pitch will often sound louder to our ears.

Hope this helps.

Chad
Old 08-31-2006, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I also Prefer DF97 when FF is allowable on the bow. My preference on string silencers however are leeches. I also put Bow Hush's on my recurves along with the leeches.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:33 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: LBR

Lots of things will make a difference, and some materials are louder on some bows. From what I've seen (heard), a material that's loudest on one bow may be the quietest on another. I shoot Dynaflight '97 on my personal bows, and get comments all the time on how quiet it is.

The right silencer material will make a difference. I love the look of fur silencers, but in my experience rubber "cat whiskers" work the best. As missedagain pointed out, where they are placed can make a big difference also. I've tinkered with a few short bows, and when the silencers were moved 1" it made a big difference.

Another thing we often don't consider is the pitch--a higher pitch will often sound louder to our ears.

Hope this helps.

Chad
Never really gave the silencer thing much thought. Thanks for the replies.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 1/4 and 1/3 spots on the string take out the most noise for me. I have real good luck using 1/4 top and 1/3 bottom. I use whiskers or natural (waterproof) wool.

Steve