Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 5" or 4" parabolic feathers >

5" or 4" parabolic feathers

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

5" or 4" parabolic feathers

Old 08-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Default 5" or 4" parabolic feathers

Im going to fletch up some 5" feathers on some shafts to see if their is much difference than the 4". What do yall think, has anyone tried 5". Should I expect to lose velocity?
Old 08-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 5" or 4" parabolic feathers

they will fly a little slower but you wont notice it with the eye. accept at long distances
Old 08-28-2006, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

do you build your own arrows burnie? i want to start doing thes my self. any info you could give would be great. also what tools do i need.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's always give and take. What you'll loose in spped, you'll gain in arrow stability. That said, I need all the stability I can get.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:52 PM

I take the middle of the road and use 4.6 " Turkey feathers, or 4" Goose, or swan feathers.
It doesn't effect the speed much.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:58 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I agree with Bob. If I were a serious target shooter, I'd probably use 4" or even 3" feathers (among other things) to pick up that tiny bit of speed. I do shoot quite a few tournaments, but hunting is priority, so I use the exact same set-up (minus broadheads) for tournaments as I hunt with, which includes 5" feathers.

I don't use them to avoid tuning. I can shoot at least 20 yds (with field points) with no fletchings at all, as long as my release is decent. I use them because Murphy's Law often works overtime with me, especially when hunting. If I draw short due to being in an awkward position or just getting in a hurry, or pluck the string, etc. the larger feathers will help cover my mistake. I don't like to go super big, like a maxi-fletch or high back bananna cut, due to the extra noise.

Like Bob said, it's give and take; or as my favorite bowyer says, "Everything is a trade-off".

Chad
Old 08-29-2006, 07:52 AM
Dominant Buck

LBR
That is the reason I have decieded to give them a try. It has been over two years since I hunted with any trad bow. I cut off two fingers a few years ago, so I used my compounds the last two seasons. Im back with the trads and the shot is coming around slower than I had expected. I feel confident enough to hunt, but just want to add the little extra insurance.

Alpha
I simply cut and fletch my shafts. I dont draw or turn wood shafts. Im sure there are those here who do. Post a thread and im sure someone will know. My brother makes his shafts from ash. He uses a draw knife to start them, then a lathe to finish them. He also naps flint for broad heads. He has even taken a few animals with his flint heads. He doesnt use them much, but has used them. Sorry for the lack of info.