Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 accuracy of groups before hunting? >

accuracy of groups before hunting?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

accuracy of groups before hunting?

Old 07-28-2006, 05:00 AM

Default accuracy of groups before hunting?

I have been practicing daily with my recurve and was wondering what size grouping would you consider proficient enough for hunting deer.

I think that my groups of less than 6 inches is pretty good at 18 yds. but was curious what you guys thought cuz i would like to him a deer not just wing an arrow at it and hope and pray.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: accuracy of groups before hunting?

That is pretty good Sal.

I would say if you are shooting that good consistantly, you should have a pretty good feel if the arrow is going to hit where it is aimed at that yardage even before you let it go. And you should know if something doesn't feel right in the shot progression that will make the arrow not hit the intended target.

I would say to use this judgement in deciding whether to let the arrow fly at live game.

You know you can hit the vitals at the stated yardage, it's just a matter of does it feel right.

Oh, and never hope and pray, that'll effect your confidence.

JMHO.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:12 AM

All that matters is your first shot of they day.... Can you wake up, go outside and put the first arrow in the kill zone? Find that distance and you know what your ethical range is.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:52 AM

As to the first shot of the day, i try to practice as if every arrow is the only arrow i am going to get to shoot at the deer. Obviously when shooting five arrows at a target it is only the first one (or maybe the second in rare instances) that counts.

I think by practicing that way i better my concentration and get into more realistic hunting situations.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:38 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: SalCucco

I have been practicing daily with my recurve and was wondering what size grouping would you consider proficient enough for hunting deer.

I think that my groups of less than 6 inches is pretty good at 18 yds. but was curious what you guys thought cuz i would like to him a deer not just wing an arrow at it and hope and pray.
Everybody has a different level of expectations and comfort zone. My level is hitting the kill zone 5 out of 5 shots from 5 yards to 25 yards mixing up the yardages. Maybe one miss from time to time. And with broadheads. Shooting field and broads are two different things.

Best place to evaluate yourself in my opinion is a 3D range. Not the back yard with one target. If you can walk thru a 10 target 3D course and hit shoot from the recurve/longbow stakes and hit 80%-90% in the kill zone, I would say your ready.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:24 PM

I never worry about groups,I worry about the first shot, that is all your going to get, unless the animals goes down and still alive and you want to put another arrow in it.

I worry about grouping if I were shooting for competition, but hunting ? Naaah!
Old 07-28-2006, 12:33 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Alex The Hawk

I never worry about groups,I worry about the first shot, that is all your going to get, unless the animals goes down and still alive and you want to put another arrow in it.

I worry about grouping if I were shooting for competition, but hunting ? Naaah!
I hear traditionalist say this alot. But when I ask them did they ever shoot groups to make an evalution, I usually hear "oh, yea, used too but found out its the first shot that counts". So I think whena man gets some experience under his belt or gets his form/shot up to a certain level, it might be best to leave grouping. But I rarely see anyone that never started out grouping. So what would happen if they didn't start out grouping? Nobody seems to know.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:49 PM

I found it is better to look to hit the target and not so much in making a 4" group or 6 inch group.

With Wooden arrows you cannot be looking for such groupings as spine of the arrows are going to vari and so will your shot placements.

So when am inniciating a new comer to trad ,I put my effort on form and hitting the target.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:39 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Alex The Hawk

I found it is better to look to hit the target and not so much in making a 4" group or 6 inch group.

With Wooden arrows you cannot be looking for such groupings as spine of the arrows are going to vari and so will your shot placements.

So when am inniciating a new comer to trad ,I put my effort on form and hitting the target.
I agree to a point. Thats the reason, I love going to different 3D courses. If I go to different ones every week, I improve 10 fold over sitting in the yard shooting same 3d deer over and over. Still don't know if my form is there. I have stopped working on it for now and shoot more at targets. I used to spend half my shots working on my release. But now, its only about 25% of my practice until I get someone to coach me.

Old 07-28-2006, 05:54 PM

no one can answer that for you and there is no law controlling it. Some of the best bowhunters of all times, some of the best shots of all time, have taken poor shots, wounded and lost game

be as good as you can be. Put in the time and effort to feel like you're ready to go hunting.

and go. You have only yourself to answer to, you know ?