Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Time to go Trad

Old 07-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Time to go Trad

Dwd & Millertime,

I too got drawn in. My cousin and I went to getherand we are in the first weekend at deer creek.

This will be my first hunt w/ a recurve and I too am in the shopping mode.
Im going to be in KC next weekend and will be visiting cabelas with intent to buy. Im looking at the PSE line. Inexpensive but effective.

As for bowhunting, Ive only bowhunted for 5 yrs and Ive shot 3 deer. Last yr I didnt practice but once before opening day and I still got a doe. I guess I could go on to say I have a great stand location.

Dont everyone say it because I know it -- I will have to practice this style everyday!

Ive got some friends here that have been before one of which went last yr. The rules sound really strict but he said it will be a good time.

DWD - The guy that went last yr said it was a good idea to have a climbing stand. YOu might start looking for that too if you dont already have one.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:53 PM

DWD -(&millertime)

Cool deal. I got drawn this year too. This will be my first year to hunt it. I've obtained a 50# recurve and still in the process of getting set up with gear. Thanks for your post,it's been helpful to me. I cut my teeth on a recurve, but I've only shot a compound for a few years. I plan on killing some does in early season forsome extra experience with the recurveand because I do anyway.
I drew in the weekend before you did. What area did you draw?? If it's the same area , maybe I'll be able to fill you in on "current events" in that area.
I'm 33 and I've put in for this my whole life. First time to get drawn.I'm pumped, ought to be a good hunt..

best of luck - cap
Old 07-23-2006, 07:02 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: okietreedude

As for bowhunting, Ive only bowhunted for 5 yrs and Ive shot 3 deer. Last yr I didnt practice but once before opening day and I still got a doe. I guess I could go on to say I have a great stand location.

Dont everyone say it because I know it -- I will have to practice this style everyday!
Wow, and your proud of it?? Boy, I am glad I entered this forum very humbly.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the help guys. I ended up getting a Martin x-200. I shot a lot of different ones before I got it, and I've put in about 4 hours of shooting so far in the last two days. I absolutely love shooting it and don't ever want to put it down but I don't want to build any bad habits. I'm also getting that book that bobco suggested.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Wow, and your proud of it?? Boy, I am glad I entered this forum very humbly.

What do you mean by this?

Yes I am proud that Ive shot 3 deer w/ bow in 5 yrs. Sure I know guys that get 5 per year w/ bow but I hunt other styles and hunting is not my life. I have read other sites where guys have hunted 5-7 yrs w/ bow and not shot a single animal.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think he was referring to the fact that depending onhow "you"read your post, it could have sounded like you were proud of the fact that you only practiced one day and still got a deer. Not the part about you taking 3 deer in 5 years.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:26 PM
bigcountry

Exactly

Old 07-24-2006, 02:55 AM

you know as I read this ........... McAlister was a special place where only traditional bowhunters were allowed to hunt. They have MONSTER bucks there too.

compounders want a piece of the action so they apply, and if they draw THEN they decide to pick up a trad bow.

I don't think thats the way it was meant to go. After McAlister are you going back to your compounds ?

I've shot trad for going on 5 years with a few lapses back to compounds. I'll say this ...... to get a recurve now and be ready in a few months you'll need to shoot hundreds of arrows per week. This aint your buy it on Friday and take it hunting on Sunday kind of deal.

I know this wasn't the original intent of the thread but after reading the

Last yr I didnt practice but once before opening day

and the

bow but I hunt other styles and hunting is not my life

I gotta say that in my opinion you're trying to cheat the system to get a crack at a big buck to make yourself the envy of others. You want bragging rights, big antlers .......... that IS NOT what traditional bowhunting is all about.

Does McAlister have a requirement before you can hunt ? If they do ......... many guys trying to do the old swith to trad in 3 days for a tag aint going to make it I gaurantee.

Maybe I'm wrong here ........... just a vibe I'm getting is all ..........
Old 07-24-2006, 08:14 AM
bigcountry

I used to loathe hunting qualifiers at special places like Fort Meade, Md, But now actually understand them. You won't believe how many fail to qualify with targets from 15 yards to 30yards. With compounds???

Old 07-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Typical Buck

Come on now, ease up a little. I think we are little off base here. I don't think that "us" as hunters should be judging or ridiculing each other for doingsomething we all enjoy. I don't believe it should matter if a guy chooses to use only high powered rifles shooting at targets 400-500 yards away, or a guy only chooses to use the bare minimum trad euipment with the least amount he can get away with. Does that make him any better of a hunter or person than another? I personally don't believe so.

Yes, I did put in for this hunt, without ever shooting trad eqipment, because of the large deer and for the experience of a lifetime. Does that make me a bad person or less of a hunter? Although I didn't get drawn this year, I still plan to continue practicing and hunting with my recurve for the upcoming season. Hopefully one of these years I will get drawn for a hunt of a lifetime. Until that time, I will enjoy trad equipment along with my rifle, ML's, pistols, and compound. Sorry if that makes me a less of a hunter in your eyes. What I am saying is, there are way too many anti's and people that don't believe in our lifestyle's in order to start turning on each other and judging one another. We all need to stick together and back each other with any advice or help that we need. The reason I joined this website was to share my experiences and get some "helpful" advice on the sport that I love. I never once wanted to run anyone down or get run down from fellow hunters.

Just because someone says they don't "live" to hunt, doesn't necessarily mean they aren't hunters. I, personally, "live" for God and Family and hunt with every little spare time I have. I am a finatic about hunting, just like many other hunters,but I "love" to hunt, not "live" to hunt. Until the time comes where I "have" to hunt in order to put food on the table for my family, then I will just continue to "love" to hunt and not "live" to hunt. Not sure how much sense that made, but I tried. Anyhow, I just wanted to get this off my mind and didn't mean this in any dirogatory way. I just think "we", as hunters, should stay behind one another and support any and all decisions (as long as they are reasonable and humane) that we make.

Trent Miller

Quick Reply: Time to go Trad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.