Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Any ground hunters try a Ghillie suit afield? >

Any ground hunters try a Ghillie suit afield?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Any ground hunters try a Ghillie suit afield?

Old 11-03-2002, 09:43 PM

Default RE: Any ground hunters try a Ghillie suit afield?

I ended up ordering an ASAT (imperfect) 3-D suit. Saved $50 dollars on the imperfect and all I have to do is wash it 5-8 times to make it like a 100% OK suit. It should be here Wed and I will have it washed and ready for Saturday.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:47 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Ya'll got me to thinking again (dangerous). Jim, where did you get yours, if you don't mind my asking?

Chad

Long Bows Rule!
Old 11-06-2002, 04:59 AM

Jim DE the guile suit I have is the one I had in the army and still use it for bowhunting or turkey hunting and I haven't had any trouble
using it,sometime's it can be a little warm but I have stalked up on many of deer with it,even scared the hell out of a guy who was messing with someone else's bow stand,but like wahya said you need to practice shooting wearing it
Old 11-06-2002, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

I made one myself out using one of my old Army field jackets and camo netting as the base. Easy to make using household items and some craft products. As of right now I have not used it for bowhunting as you would have to alter the camo. material so as not to interfere with the string. I have used it for turkey season with my shotgun and found it very effective. As for when to wear it, wait until you are at your hunting ground or position, you do not want to wear it during intensive excercise, limit activity to stalking or sitting and you will be most comfortable. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2002, 10:47 PM

Chad....I got the ASAT Ultimate 3D camo suit from Lenartz.com

It came with the coat, pants, and headcover. I bought one of the suits that had excessive lazer burn on it and saved $50.00. I have washed the suit 5 times and the majority of the burnt edges are gone as they told me it would. I ordered it on a Friday and it was at my house by Monday......I would recommend these guys to anyone....they are great to do business with. My suit with shipping was less than $100.00
Old 11-08-2002, 07:29 PM

I like my Ghillie suit!!!
I built it out of a old minnow seine, 10 burlap sacks(shredded) 2 packs of Rit Dye, a latch hook(borrowed Grandmas)i used a T-shirt for the pattern allowing extra for movement.cut the seine large you can always trim it to better fit. I cut the sacks in diff size squares. then shredded them.. 10x10, 18x18, 24x24 etc.
the seams are sewn with braided nylon string. You will find that the natural Burlap color matches the wild grasses that go dormant in sept.. so i used forrest green and earth brown along with it.
The military Ghillies are actually only on the back side of the bdu's they wear,and have pads sewn on the front of legs and chest for crawling.. hard to do with a bow, so i made mine a full suit..lil heavy, weight is 7 to 8 lbs.
Practice shooting in all positions, trim as needed. they are not solid covered. youll find that it is lighter and more comfortable with some gaps for air flow
I am allready working on a new and improved suit, it will be made of an old Bad minton(spelling??) net.and be made of lighter coloring with Dark vertical bars of color for later in season hunting!! there are several online places to find ghillies and the stuff to build them...
mine cost me let me think,,, $15 Tops,, and 40+ hrs of my time.
here are a few helpful hints:
#1 dye and scent wash (it pays off later!)the "squares" before you shred them.
#2 after you finish you can Hilight with flat camo spray paints.
#3 too test the suit have some one play hide and seek with you in a Small wooded lot(or whatever is available) If something looks out of place add more color with the spray paint,allow 2 weeks or more for paint to evaporate and spray with scent cover.
hand wash and dry in Breezy sunny spot..it takes a long time for the burlap to dry, wet suit is Heavy suit!!
I have stalked within 10 yds of a doe, had squirrels try and " climb" me,Learned the hard way why ya carry them to your huntin spot... every thing hangs up on them!Cockleburrs will Get cha!!!! and yes they get really hot!!!
one of the online Ghillie suppliers sells water proofing and scent removal spray( hard to lose that Jute smell)I recommend both!
Good luck too ya!!!
Be Prepared!! My Son's first comment was.... "Big Foot is gonna Die!!!!LOL
Hedgeapple
May the wind always greet you and your arrows fly True!
Old 11-08-2002, 07:33 PM

oops ... didnt mention that the latch hook is for attaching the burlap. using the latch hook by folding string and pulling through net.
Hedgeapple
Old 11-12-2002, 11:46 AM

What's a Ghillie suit?

Edited by - rita on 11/12/2002 12:47:40
Old 11-12-2002, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

Rita:
A "Ghillie" is a Scottish highland Red Stag guide. They have been around for generations. They had old wool suits to which they sewed so many patches, that it became ragged.
Our Military picked up on the idea for Sniper use, especially in my era of Vietnam, and they were called "Ghillie Suits"
Each sniper made his own from netting and strips of camo cloth, to which was added flora of the area. A well made ghillie suit and a person who can lay still, is almost undetectable.

Your life is made of time, not money.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got one of the mossy oak "shaggie suits" and I can't use it for bowhunting. It does mess up my shot no matter what I try (trimming the shag of the arm, arm guards, stuff like that). Even the head cover shag messes with the string at full draw. It is hard to hear with the face mask and heat cover on, and hard to see too. It catches on everthing in the woods making a ton of noise if you try and stalk in it. If you made your own or bought a better one than this go for it but stay away from the mossy oak shaggie suit.It simply isn't worth it. I can only use mine for gun hunting in thick pines and put it on when I get to my spot.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"

Quick Reply: Any ground hunters try a Ghillie suit afield?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.