HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Any ground hunters try a Ghillie suit afield?
Old 11-08-2002, 07:29 PM
hedgeapple

Default RE: Any ground hunters try a Ghillie suit afield?

I like my Ghillie suit!!!
I built it out of a old minnow seine, 10 burlap sacks(shredded) 2 packs of Rit Dye, a latch hook(borrowed Grandmas)i used a T-shirt for the pattern allowing extra for movement.cut the seine large you can always trim it to better fit. I cut the sacks in diff size squares. then shredded them.. 10x10, 18x18, 24x24 etc.
the seams are sewn with braided nylon string. You will find that the natural Burlap color matches the wild grasses that go dormant in sept.. so i used forrest green and earth brown along with it.
The military Ghillies are actually only on the back side of the bdu's they wear,and have pads sewn on the front of legs and chest for crawling.. hard to do with a bow, so i made mine a full suit..lil heavy, weight is 7 to 8 lbs.
Practice shooting in all positions, trim as needed. they are not solid covered. youll find that it is lighter and more comfortable with some gaps for air flow
I am allready working on a new and improved suit, it will be made of an old Bad minton(spelling??) net.and be made of lighter coloring with Dark vertical bars of color for later in season hunting!! there are several online places to find ghillies and the stuff to build them...
mine cost me let me think,,, $15 Tops,, and 40+ hrs of my time.
here are a few helpful hints:
#1 dye and scent wash (it pays off later!)the "squares" before you shred them.
#2 after you finish you can Hilight with flat camo spray paints.
#3 too test the suit have some one play hide and seek with you in a Small wooded lot(or whatever is available) If something looks out of place add more color with the spray paint,allow 2 weeks or more for paint to evaporate and spray with scent cover.
hand wash and dry in Breezy sunny spot..it takes a long time for the burlap to dry, wet suit is Heavy suit!!
I have stalked within 10 yds of a doe, had squirrels try and " climb" me,Learned the hard way why ya carry them to your huntin spot... every thing hangs up on them!Cockleburrs will Get cha!!!! and yes they get really hot!!!
one of the online Ghillie suppliers sells water proofing and scent removal spray( hard to lose that Jute smell)I recommend both!
Good luck too ya!!!
Be Prepared!! My Son's first comment was.... "Big Foot is gonna Die!!!!LOL
Hedgeapple
May the wind always greet you and your arrows fly True!