Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Need help getting into trad gear >

Need help getting into trad gear

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Need help getting into trad gear

Old 05-17-2006, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need help getting into trad gear

I'm a compound bowhunter looking to relive my youth and get back into traditional gear. I've been looking at the longbows at Cabelas in the 50lb range and was wondering if this is a good place to start. Also should I use a finger tab or glove and can I use thunderheads and XX75 aluminum arrows? My draw is 29'' with my compound and a release. I would only use the bow for deer and small game. Sorry if this is a common question but I couldn't find much info when I searched the forum.
thanks!
Old 05-17-2006, 01:57 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Need help getting into trad gear

I am fairly new into it too. What I have found is its nice to have 10gr of arrow/pound of pull. Your draw will proably be in the 28" region. So you can use aluminums but they need to be spined correctly. Sounds like you need 2016's. Thats what I have but wish I went with 2018's cause they are heavier.

I chose a glove. Cause I am going to use hunting. Think its a matter of choice. I also have bought magnus 2 blade heads. I know its too early to worry about that as I am still not good enough to drag in the woods. But from what have seen with the 2 blade designs, they penetrate better and thats important to me.

Old 05-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need help getting into trad gear

borealboy, welcome.

If your drawing 29 with a compound and release, then I'd dare to guess that your draw will be around 27-28 inches with the longbow. The bow from cabelas is probably 28" so you should be OK. I'd suggest pulling around 45 pounds or so at your draw length though. 50 might be a little too heavy (at your draw), but if you can pull it back comfortable and hold it for 10 seconds, then it should be OK. Tabs or gloves are a matter of preference. I'm constantly moving back and forth between different gloves and tabs. I kind of like gloves with inserts though because they offer more protection, some like the feel of the string though. You may want to stick with a cut on contact head, that would be my opinion on the broadhead types. On the aluminums arrow, definetely can do. That is what I use pretty much exclusively. They are also good enough for Byron. Which brings me to another point. Get his book "Become the Arrow".