Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Martin Black Mamba

Old 05-15-2006, 10:59 AM

Default Martin Black Mamba

I was offered a new martin black mamba from a local archery shop. It's a few years old, but still never been shot. The list price was 319 or 390 i can't remember, but he said he'd sell it for 200. My draw length is 29 inches with a compound and i belive the mamba is 62inches long. It should work. I looked the mamba up on the internet, and it said it was 58inches, but the store said it was in the 60 inch range. I don't know if they shortened it over time. Will that bow still shoot good if it's 58inches and my draw is 29-30 inches. How about cast, speed, etc. Any info will help.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:13 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Martin Black Mamba

Pretty sure the Mamba has always been 58". It will have the length marked on the riser.

That is a great price on the bow, but in my experience (I've owned several Martins, and shot lots more) they don't like to be drawn much past 28"--the one's I've had stacked a lot past that.

What is the draw weight? Martins are also known to pull a few lbs heavier than marked. Speed is good with them.

If you are just getting into it, the only way I'd buy that bow would be to trade it for a different one. It's a goodbuy, but if you can't shoot it then it's not worth $5 to keep. I'd go with arecurve at least 60" long and about 40# at your draw.

One other thing--if it's marked much over 55#, then it will be harder to trade on. The trend for the last several years has been bows that pull 55# or less.

Chad
Old 05-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Dominant Buck

That would be a 58 inch string. 62 inch bow. I loved my Mamba, but like LBR mentioned it will stack quit a bit out past 28 inches. Id say more so than the average 2 to 3 lbs per inch beyond 28 inchs. But that is no big deal if the bow stacks to the weight you want.My mambawas my primary hunting trad bow, that was until I ran over it last year in a 4 wheeler.[:@]
Old 05-15-2006, 01:12 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I could be wrong about the older ones, but in at least the past 2-3 years they are 58" AMO--bow length. The latest 3 Rivers catalog has them listed as 58", and the one my buddy was shooting yesterday (2-3 years old, maybe older) is a 58". The Hatfield and Hunter are 62" though.

Fool-proof way to check that one is look at the writing on the riser--it will be marked with the draw weight and AMO bow length.

Chad
Old 05-15-2006, 01:13 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Almost forgot--it may be labeled on the belly side of the limbs, just underneath the riser instead of on the riser itself.

Chad
Old 05-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Interesting. I did not know that.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:10 PM

thanks for the information. I just got back from the shop, and it's a martin Hunter, not a mamba. It's 50# at 28inches. I like the bow alot. I just really wonder if it's goin to be worth the money. I just sold all my old paintball stuff to buy a Alpine lightning Force compound bow with sights only to find a recurve is really what i want. The new compounds are really hard to shoot. I curently shoot a PSE compound purchased in 1982. It feels alot like a recurve compared to the alpine. The shop owner said he could sell the alpine for me so i should break even.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:59 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

The Hunter is a 62"--much better in that dept. The price on a new one is the same as a Mamba, so it's still a good deal. Unfortunately, the weight may be on the heavy side, and even the 62" Martins I have owned and shot stacked pretty badly.

The weight should make it a LOT easier to sell/trade if you ever wanted to get rid of it also. Keep it in good condition, you shouldn't loose a dime.

Chad
Old 05-15-2006, 08:21 PM

I have a mamba I currently shoot. 58" I draw 28" no problem with stacking. However, some of the older Martins stacked horrible. Especially the Super Diablo I had. Its a shame too, it was a great looking and shooting bow. Anyway,$200 for a hunter is a great deal on a great bow, but 50# may be a little to much to start with. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like a good deal. Might be a little heavy for starting out, that is if you are new to the trads. But then agian, it all depends on how strong you are. Over all, its a great bow.

Quick Reply: Martin Black Mamba

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.