Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 A Take Down Recurve built just for me! >

A Take Down Recurve built just for me!

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

A Take Down Recurve built just for me!

Old 04-28-2006, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default A Take Down Recurve built just for me!

With working part time in a archery shop this past year I havecome to know alocal fellow that builds both recurves and long bows and has done so for family and friendsthe past 15 years. Now I admit that I don't know much about tradional archery, but from those in the know (includingmy friend who is theshop owner) all say this fellow knows his stuff about building bows.He is retirednow and does this part time to full time if needs be. Anyway he offered to build me a traditional bow of my choice as long as I tell anyone who cares that he built the bow and refer them to him. I will have to pay for the costs of materials but other then that its free. He has not built many left handed bows, and I am a lefty but I have seen his work and its good and I trust him. I have also talked to many who now shoot his bows and I have not heard any complaints. I want a take down recurve, but what poundage should I get? I was thinking I wanted a 65 or 70 pound bow, but he didn't think that was a good idea for me to start out shooting traditional with such high poundage. Do you guys agree with this or not? He will build it if I want it so, but he recomends tostart out with a 50 or 55 pound bow.Also what are some good books about traditional archery I should start reading? I have archery hunted now since 1989 and feel like I know my stuff when it comes to modern bows and equipment but with traditional I feel like a newkid in candy shop starting all over again with so many choices.One last thing I doplan on trying to elk hunt with this bow, not this year but most likley next and that is why I want a 65 or 70 pound bow. My last couple of elk bow kills were under 20 yards so I know I can do it as long as I can hit them.[8D]We shall see.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: A Take Down Recurve built just for me!

I have a take down recurve , a PSE Kudu that's 50#@28" , and I'm giving some thought to buying 45# limbs for it . A 50-55# recurve has zero let-off and is good for nearly any NA game including elk , and biting off more than you can chew with a trad bow is very easy . Ask if he has any in a variety of weights for you to try out . Getting yourself overbowed out of such a sweet deal would be a real shame .
Old 04-28-2006, 10:41 AM

50lbs would probably be ok....... Lighter would be more ideal for a beginner, but I know how you feel.... You hate to get a bow that you can't hunt with....... The weight will be rough for a few weeks, but you will soon adapt and be able to pull it with ease.... These things take time.... I suggest spending a lot of time on message boards such as these reading and asking questions......stickbow.com and tradgang.com..... It will take time..... You might be ready for elk in the fall of 2007, but that also may be pushing it..... I practice almost every day.... I'm just now at the point that I would have no reservations taking a 20yds shot at any animal.... It's taking me a tad over a year...... But I've spent countless hours watching video's and reading books on form..... It all boils down to form.... You need to get up close and spend A LOT of time working on your shot..... 20yds will seem unattainable until you have a good consistent form....... Read books on back tension..... Learn it, practice it...... Do exercises to develop a steadybow arm...... Practice, practice, practice...... I suppose it's a lot like golf, which I don't play, but you have to practice regularly to perform at the top level...... Good luck..... If you fully dedicate yourself to shooting trad, you will NEVER pick up a compound again..... It's unbelievable how good you feel about a perfect 25yd shot......
Old 04-29-2006, 07:20 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: idahoelkinstructor

With working part time in a archery shop this past year I havecome to know alocal fellow that builds both recurves and long bows and has done so for family and friendsthe past 15 years. Now I admit that I don't know much about tradional archery, but from those in the know (includingmy friend who is theshop owner) all say this fellow knows his stuff about building bows.He is retirednow and does this part time to full time if needs be. Anyway he offered to build me a traditional bow of my choice as long as I tell anyone who cares that he built the bow and refer them to him. I will have to pay for the costs of materials but other then that its free. He has not built many left handed bows, and I am a lefty but I have seen his work and its good and I trust him. I have also talked to many who now shoot his bows and I have not heard any complaints. I want a take down recurve, but what poundage should I get? I was thinking I wanted a 65 or 70 pound bow, but he didn't think that was a good idea for me to start out shooting traditional with such high poundage. Do you guys agree with this or not? He will build it if I want it so, but he recomends tostart out with a 50 or 55 pound bow.Also what are some good books about traditional archery I should start reading? I have archery hunted now since 1989 and feel like I know my stuff when it comes to modern bows and equipment but with traditional I feel like a newkid in candy shop starting all over again with so many choices.One last thing I doplan on trying to elk hunt with this bow, not this year but most likley next and that is why I want a 65 or 70 pound bow. My last couple of elk bow kills were under 20 yards so I know I can do it as long as I can hit them.[8D]We shall see.
I tried going high poundage at first and it didn't work. But I have been a release compound shooter for for over 20 years. And moving to traditional, I need to practice on my release and can't do that with a 60lb bow. But if you already shoot fingers now, you got that licked. My release is what is killing me lately. And the lighter bow really helps out there.

What you ought to to is get him to make you a 45-50# set of limbs and a 60-65 when you feel your ready.

Old 04-29-2006, 07:21 AM
bigcountry

One thing idaho, I sure wouldn't pass up on the deal.

Old 04-30-2006, 01:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone thanks for all the advice.

Double Creek I agree that might be pushing it, I don't know if I will be ready or not for 2007. I will not take the chance of wounding a animal at all. I took a friend 3 years ago elk hunting.He hunted with his fathers recurve, he did it in memory of his father but it ended up costing him with two misses on bulls. Both were under 20 yard shots, one from a tree stand the other I called into him. I was just thankful that we didn't have wounded bull on our hands.

bigcountry, I will not passthis chanceup, I just don't know what poundage to go with? I have not shot fingers in many, many years. In factit was only myfirst two years of bowhunting (89 and 90) thatI did shoot fingers. In 1991 I bought a brand new bow (Golden Eagle Formul 3-D, I still have it) all set up with a new release and bow case. Its fuuny now looking back and thinking that was the cream of the crop, best of the best equipment never to be outdone. Anyway I am just like a beginner when it comes to shooting with fingers, ifI am lucky maybe I can remember some of what I learned back then. But I am not counting or bettingon it.

kevin1 I agree I don't want to be overbowed at all but I don't want to be underbowed so to speak either. I think bigcountry has a good idea, maybe I'll even ask him what it would cost (including labor)to go ahead and make a second set of limbs for this bow. But lets say I do have one set made at 70 pounds, should I make the other set like 40 to 45 poundsor should it be more like 50 to 55 pounds. If I get so used to shooting 40 or 45 it will still be very hard to jump up to 70 poundscorrect. But if I go from 55 to 70 then is shouldn't be as bad right? I don't know?
Old 05-02-2006, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe get the custom bow in the poundage you want to use for Elk (I still wouldn't go over 60), and also get a cheaper bow in the 40-45 range to start out. Starting out over bowed will be tough. Remember that your draw will most likely be around 1-2" less then what you are shooting with a compound.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Shooting a compound and shooting a trad are two totally different animals , don't go over 60# even if you're currently pulling more than that now , you will be overbowed when the lack of let off hits you . I started with a 40# one piece recurve borrowed from a cousin , and that was just over the state's legal minimum of 35# , and it was real work getting adjusted to it . It took over a year before I was confident enough to take it hunting , and even then I wouldn't have taken a shot over 20 yards . I'm currently shooting 50# wth a take down and giving thought to going down 5# with a new set of limbs since 50# is more than I need for whitetails and I don't want to damage myself trying to be a he man . Consult some of the trad elk hunters around you and I doubt you'll find many shooting over 60# . Throw in a good cut on contact broadhead like Magnus Stingers and you could feasibly sneak down to 50-55# without undue risk . Penetration , not poundage , is the real deciding factor .
Old 05-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

kevin, good advice I will ask around to as many people as I can. In the pasttwo monthsIhave askedjust acouple ofserious elk hunters that use traditional equipment. They have been in the 60 to 65 pound range. Also from working at the shop this past winter I have found out that actually quite a few guys do own traditional bows around here insoutheast Idaho.But to my surprisefew actually go elk hunting with them, instead they pull out thier compound when elk season rolls around. Now I don't plan on giving up componds, I like 3-D shooting too much with compounds. In a few years when my kids are older and I have more time, I plan on trying to compeate. But I sure do see myself elk hunting with a traditional bow, this last season I passed on several smallbulls that were under 20 yards with some just under 10. I have only killed one 6x6 (295-300 class)bull elk with my bow so far.I realy want a big 6x6, that will never happen is if I shoot small bulls, but with a traditional bow I don't think I would care how big it is. I bet that would be a rush no matter the size of the bull.And whos to sayI couldn'tkill a bigger bullwith mytraditional bow. In my 16 years of bowhunting the biggest bull Iever called into me was 17 yards away, never did have a good shot angle but dang that was fun seeing him so close.Ok one question that justpopped into my mind how far is too far with a traditional bow? If a archer can shoot good groupsat 30 yards should that be the limit for elk? Or should it be closer like 25 or 20? I know at first my limit will be no more than 20 yards, maybe 15?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

If a archer can shoot good groupsat 30 yards should that be the limit for elk?
I'd say most definetely.