Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

whats your opinion?

Old 04-23-2006, 01:42 PM

Default whats your opinion?

What in your opinion what is the best recurve on the market today? price is no object, just the best quality and best made.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:22 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: whats your opinion?

Lots of great bows on the market these days--which one is "best" is going to depend on personal preferances for the most part--I don't know of any of the better ones that are head and shoulders above the rest as far as performance and durability goes. I talked to Ken Beck of Black Widow on the phone just a few days ago, and even he said "there isn't a nickle's worth of difference in performance" among the better bows.

Not trying to avoid the question here, it's just impossible for anyone to tell you which one will be the best for you. That's something you will have to decide.

As far as my opinion goes, I'm partial to longbows, and don't shoot recurves a lot, but my pick is the Chek-Mate Hunter II for a hunting bow, or the Sabre for a target bow. You can get fancier bows, but you won't get one that will run off and leave either of these as far as performance and durability goes.

Chad

Chad
Old 04-23-2006, 02:29 PM

As LBR the best one is the one that feels good to you, My bow is great for me ,it might not feel good for you.
So if you can find a dealer that you can go personally and shoot a few brands do so.
If not it is just getting accustomed to your bow, just don't buy one greater than you can pull.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:05 AM

Like Chad said, performance wise you probably won't find much difference in any of them...... What seperatessome of the big names from the middle of the pack is the choice of woods, craftmanship, etc....

In my opinion, the best looking recurves on the market right now are the Blacktails...... They are simply stunning......
Old 04-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

The best recurve in the world is the one you've got in your hands when you need it.

For the most part,I have to agree with the others about performance. Same holds true for quality and workmanship among the top bowyers. The market is too competitive. If the workmanship and quality aren't there, the guy isn't going to be able to demand premium prices. If he does, he won't be in business long. If his work isn't even up to factory standards, which are also pretty high, he better keep his day job.

Some recurves I'd love to have, in no particular order,are: anything by Blacktail or Dale Dye, the Rio Bravo 'B' by Great PLains, Black Widow PMA (I could care less that a lot of it iscut outon CNC machines, it's still a great bow), ChekMate Hunter II, Bob Lee Hunter.... but at the top of my all time wish list is a '69 Bear Custom Kodiak TD.

Far from being a complete list, those arejust the ones that come to mind right now.