Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Hangin' It Up

Old 04-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hangin' It Up

hey there! sorry to hear about you havin to stop shooting your bow. i'm a horton crossbow shooter and i'm not to happy with what is happening with my rig right now. it's high maintnece and it's noisy. if you decide to buy one, go excal. you can go to www.crossbows.net and look around. i dont know where to find any plans for an old crossbow like your gonna build but i hear they're fun to kill deer with! have fun and be safe!
Old 04-17-2006, 06:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hangin' It Up

Thanks for the support, fellas.

Squirrelkilla, the prices they want for crossbows is exactly what made me decide to make my own.

I ain't payin' that kind of money for something that's not really all that complicated.I figure 12 bucks for the wood, another dollar or two on hemp twineand I'msplurging $60 on a steel prod instead of making a wooden one. It'll be well under a hundred bucks when all said and done.

Besides that, since I belong to an all-traditional archery club, I can't just show up with a high tech, telescopic sighted compound crossbow. A midieval style crossbowmight notget me run off.

Just have to figure out some way to make an unobtrusivemechanical safety so it will be legal to hunt with in Texas. I'm thinking just a pin to block the trigger when it's cocked.