Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 when to  make the change? >

when to make the change?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

when to make the change?

Old 02-26-2006, 08:50 AM

Default when to make the change?

i have shot with recurves for years, never hunted with em or got really serious. i have been looking at going to just a recurve or long bow. i hate all the peeps, pins, release, level, on compounds. i want somthing simple.
i don't want to have to remember all that crap at the moment of truth. so when do i know it is time to make the change to a recurve or long bow?
and when i make the change do i go with a recurve or a long bow?
i am 5'11" and pull a 30" draw on compound, and shoot 67lbs. thank all
Old 02-26-2006, 09:17 AM

Default RE: when to make the change?

Looks like you may be ready now, you are talking about it. Take the plung and shoot what you feel comfortable with
Old 02-26-2006, 09:52 AM

There is no better time than now..... If you will commit yourself to the recurve or longbow, I doubt you will ever pick up a compound again.....IMO, it's similar to rifle hunting vs bowhunting.... Once you commit yourself to be a full time bowhunter, rifle hunting has no appeal and seems too easy. The same can be said for trad vs compound.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep. No time like the present.Start now andyou'll very likely be ready to hunt by this fall.

Whether to go recurve or longbow is strictly up to you. Most people seem to shoot a bit better with a recurve, but some do well with a longbow and can't shoot worth beans with a recurve.

Used to be the recurve was a natural switch from the compound, because both used pistol grip handles, designed to be shot with a straight wrist, while longbows are designed to be shot with a low wrist grip.

Nowadays, the grips on compounds are mostly made to be shot low wrist like longbows are. So now the longbow might be considered the easiest switch. And there are longbows with recurve grips and recurves with longbow grips... It's hard to say one styleis better than another for a fresh crossover shooterbecause there is SO much variety.

Shoot a few of each and decide which feels best to you.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:09 AM

I, Like you got tired of all the gadgets and to be honest, was shooting my compund so much that I lost the feel for the challenge. I took the plunge by asking some questions here like you are and also got some good books on traditional archery and instinctive shooting. I then searched and watched E-bay to find a low weight bow at a good price. I ended up with a 40 pound pull at 28". I am also very similar to to you, in that I am 6' tall and draw 30" at 60 lbs on my coumpund. Althought I just got my recurve about two weeks ago, I absolutely love shooting it. I mentioned in another post how enjoyable the simplicity is. It is a whole new world of challenges, but at the time you don't have to think about all the little things. I focus on the spot and let her fly. Just take the plunge, you sound like you are already talking yourself into. No TIme like the present.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yup just do it! If you plan on hunting with it, check the game laws and find out what the minimum requirement is for big game. Then get something around there. Here it is 40 pounds pull, which is fine for whitetails. Keep us posted and ask any questions you'd like.