Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

hunting quail and pheasants

Old 01-01-2006, 08:59 PM

Default hunting quail and pheasants

I have a martin recurve bow and ever since I started archery a coulpleof years ago I've wanted to hunt small game including quail and pheasants. I hunt other things like sqirrels and stuff on my land but I'va been wanting tohunt quail really bad. The only problem is that I don't have a hunting dog. Do you have any suggestions? I really don't think I'm a good enough shot to hit a quail in full flight. [&o]
Old 01-01-2006, 09:56 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: hunting quail and pheasants

Flu-flu's, Ace blunts--lots of them. Tough target for sure, but you'll connect sooner or later.

Chad
Old 01-01-2006, 10:19 PM

I've also wanted to try this for awhile now. It looks really fun because it'd be such a challenge. I've only seen it a few times on TV but I wish they'd do more shows on it because, in my opinion, it's much more interesting watching upland game hunting with a recurve than it is with a shotgun.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've always used Snaro's on fluflusfor quail and mourning dove. Blunts would definitely work, if you're right on the money with the shot. I use snaros because Ican miss an inch orso any direction and still put down a bird.

Never have hunted pheasants with a bow but, if I ever did,I'd go with the advice I've always heard. Use broadheads on fluflus for them.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:03 AM

thanks for all of your informatoin on this subject! Do you know where I could find this stuff for a resonable price?
Old 01-03-2006, 05:09 AM

I have been after grouse with the bow for a month now and have only closed the deal once, and he wasn't flying.

The best way to get FluFlus is to buy shafts, full length fethers and make your own, but if that is not going to work for you I saw some in 3rivers. I dont know how much they get for them. They also have all kinds of points and I think they carry the Snaros to.

As far as other small game points go I think they are way to expensive, I make some that are vary cheep and they have worked good so far, if youare interested I willtell you how to make them.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:48 AM

guss-
Thanks for your advice. yes if you wouldn't mind I would love it if you would tell me how to make my own hunting points. Thanks alot!!!

Nick
Old 01-03-2006, 10:17 AM

Huntingfor tails Check your PM
Old 01-03-2006, 05:23 PM

hey thanks for the advice guss!!! I have already made one and it was really easy! Thanks again!
Nick