Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Does tiller matter?

Old 12-08-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Does tiller matter?

I just got my Hoyt Gamemaster,and when i have the limbs bottomed outthe tiller on the bottom limb is 7" to front of the string,and the top limb is 6-13/16 to the front of the string.does this matter on a recurve bow like it does on a compound?In order to get the tiller almost exactly i have to take a turn and a quarter out of my top limb.This just does not sound right to me.Thanks in advance
Old 12-08-2005, 03:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Does tiller matter?

Normally, you would measure tiller on recurves and longbows from the ends of the fadeouts in the bases of the limbs. If your Gamemaster is camo'ed - andall the ones I've seen are -you won't be able to do that.

Usually, the bottom limb should be anywhere from 1/8" - 1/4" closer to the string than the top one for shooting split finger release. If doing 3-under, the measurements ought to be close to the same.

Since you can't measure tiller correctly, I'd lean more toward paying attention to how the bow shoots. If the bow shoots okay for you, if it draws evenly and doesn't want to pull up during the draw (which would mean the top limb is too strong compared to the bottom one), if it doesn't kick and make noise when you shoot, and if you don't have to really raise the nocking point way high or lower itbelow squareto get good arrow flight, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:10 AM

Default RE: Does tiller matter?

Traditional take-down bows like the Gamemaster are not designed to have adjustable tiller. If you look at the instructions that came with the Gamemaster you will find they tell you to only shoot with the limb bolts tightened down. The bow is designed with positive tiller, meaning the lower limb measurement is different from the top to accomodate a fingers release. Only Olympic recurves with ILF limb pockets are designed to have adjustable tiller. Just snug your Gamemasters bolts down and shoot it.