Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

string noise

Old 10-10-2002, 10:02 AM

Default string noise

I recently installed a flemish string on my recurve and I notice a clicking/creaking noise as I draw. I'm pretty certain that this is caused by the wax impregnated loop-ends sticking to the recurved portion of the limbs. I’m concerned that any deer within shooting range would detect this unnatural noise and would immediately become alerted to my presence. Any advice on how to dampen this noise?
Old 10-10-2002, 11:52 AM

Default RE: string noise

What evidence do you have for the source of the sound?

The reason I ask because this is the first time I've ever heard of a flemish braid doing this. I've had three piece takedown bows creak when a limb bolt got loose, and my Asiatic bow creaks a little because the string loops scrape across the sides of the sihas but this sound isn't audible much beyond armslength apparently. Consequently, I'm a little puzzled as to how the string is making the sound you describe just by lifting off the face of the recurves. The wax shouldn't be that sticky and even if it is, it should probably make a different sound.

If it is in fact the string loops being overwaxed, then you can rub them with a piece of leather to force the wax into the fibers and perhaps remove some of the excess. You should also probably rub the face of the recurves to remove any excess wax accumulation from them as well.

Whatever's wrong ain't the bow and whatever's right is the archer.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:27 PM

The only evidence I have is that the noise wasn't present before I installed the new string. It's possible that it is something else, but I don't know what it could be then. The string was very heavily waxed, I'll try rubbing some off as you suggest.
Old 10-10-2002, 05:06 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Could be the wax--the stringmaker's wax I use is really sticky/tacky (helps out in making the string). If you can't rub enough of it off, you might try some unscented talc (baby powder) in the string grooves, or apply a thin layer of moleskin where the string touches the limb.

Chad

Long Bows Rule!
Old 10-10-2002, 07:28 PM

I had the same problem when I first got my bow. I shot it for a while with the endless loop string that was on the bow when I got it and when I put a new flemish string on it I began to hear a noise like you describe. I finally narrowed it down to a combination of two things, the wax sticking where the string contacted the limbs, and a low brace height causing more of the string to contact the limbs than should have been. I raised the brace height a little and the noise was still there but much less. After about 50 shots the excess wax was gone and no more noise. If you know that your brace height is right, give it a few shots and see if the noise doesn't go away on its own.

Clark
Old 10-11-2002, 02:49 PM

Well, this only goes to show, at least in my case, that no matter how long a person's been doing this, there is always something new to learn. In all these years I had never encountered this particular issue.

Whatever's wrong ain't the bow and whatever's right is the archer.
Old 10-12-2002, 05:25 PM

sounds like your brace height might be low
here are the recommended brace heights for recurves-

58" -- 7 1/2" to 8"
60" -- 7 3/4" to 8 1/4"
62" -- 8" to 8 1/2"
64-66" -- 8" to 9"

CaptJack
Be a better Hunter - Get a better Shot

Edited by - CaptJack on 10/12/2002 18:26:13