Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String Noise

Old 06-18-2007, 04:22 PM

Default String Noise

I recently switched from a peep w/ tubing to a G5meta peep. I have an Instinct (which isextremely quiet) but have noticed now the twang sound the string makes after a shot while oscillating. It is minimal, but is there anything besides leeches and an STS I could use to makemy shot even quieter?
Old 06-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: String Noise

If you are saying you have the leaches and the STS remove the leaches. I found that my atring noise lowered in pitch after I removed my string silencers.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:31 PM

I have leeches, but no STS. I'm surethis isjust meoverreacting.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get a STS or a MeanV. You will be glad you did.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd just invest a couple of dollars on spider legs. If you've got a good fishing supply store nearby, just go buy a roll of living rubber spinnerbait skirting and have a lifetime supply of string silencers. It runs about $15 per pound.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:08 PM

I tried my old arrows, which are heavier than the ones I've been using, and the noise dropped considerably. The speed is down, but groups are tighter, so I think I'll go back to the oldies!

thanks!
Old 06-23-2007, 05:26 AM

Adding weight is always the fastest way to decrease bow noise. If low noise is really important to you, there is no reason to limit yourself to traditional methods.

Some don't like the STS type devices. They stop vibration, but add a slight "tunk" on the shot. You can put multiple silencers on the string and cables. I've had some super quiet setups that had anywhere from 6-8 string silencers on it. If you shoot with a string loop, change it to a Catfish Loop. It acts as a silencer as well as the best loop you can have on your bow. You can also shoot a higher strand-count string. It will weigh more, make less noise, and adds strength to your string.

Do all this and then pop a 600 grain arrow onto the string and you'll be lucky to hear anything on the shot.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:48 AM

What is a Catfish Loop?
Old 06-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

What is a Catfish Loop?
I'm wondering the same thing.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I found a website that shows how to make one, but unless you can read German all you can do is look at the pictures.

You wind about 4-5 wraps of braided fastflight serving around a couple of nails about 1 1/2" or so apart, and tie the tag ends with a non-slip knot. Then you fold the loops around the string and serve it into one loop. You have to put tied on nock points inside the loop to keep it from sliding up and down the string.

Maybe that explanation along with the pictures can at least give you an idea what it is.

http://www.compoundbow.de/catfish_loop.htm

Quick Reply: String Noise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.