Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Rest noise

Old 10-17-2005, 08:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Rest noise

I have a screw in plastic rest similar to a stick-on on my recurve , and lately the arrow shaft has been making a squeak either as I draw or on release . Is there anything I can do to quiet it ? I've tried string wax , and a dab of peanut oil , neither quiet it for long . I even tried burnishing the contact surface , still no good . I can't shoot off the shelf to save my life , and I can't figure out why this rest squeaks when the stick-ons before it didn't unless it has something to do with the double sided tape on the previous rests . Should I add a felt washer to the shaft that connects it to the riser ?
Old 10-17-2005, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rest noise

Put moleskin over the contact points on the rest. No more squeak.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Dominant Buck

I had considered moleskin , Arthur , but the rest is only about a 1/32" thick piece of plastic like the stick-ons . I'd have to wrap it completely around the rest , and it probably wouldn't last very long . That's why I was considering a felt washer to reduce the vibration from the friction . It may also be the finish on my shafts which is a simulated woodgrain , my practice shafts have a smoother finish and don't squeak except occasionally .
Old 10-17-2005, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Moleskin willdefinitely wear out, but it'll take more shots to wear outthan you think. Besidesmoleskin is cheap and easy to replace.

If you want something that's more durable but does the same thing, use the furry side of velcro. Or get some thin, pliableleather and glue it (Barge cement) around the rest's support finger and on the strike plate.

You already know the arrow and rest squeak when rubbed together, so you want to do anything possibleto put some different material between the rest and arrow. I don't think your idea of putting a felt washer behind the rest will do much, because that's not where the squeak is coming from.

Old 10-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could also try coating the rest arm with clear fingernail polish.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

You could also try coating the rest arm with clear fingernail polish.
Laquer "burns" easily , it seems like the friction would make it stick and squeal louder , sort of like the rosin they use on violin bows . I guess Ill have to try moleskin or something . Hmmm ... I've got some Velcro™ dots here somewhere ...
Old 10-18-2005, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know about that, but I used clear fingernail polish on my launcher arms when I shot a compound to prevent wear and silence them, worked like a charm.