Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Sharp enough?

Old 10-11-2005, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sharp enough?

I've never been able to get edges to shave my arm hair. Even straight out of the pack Steelforce which have a rep of being hair popping sharp won't do it. I think my technique is flawed moresoe than the edge.

That said, the filed and honed edges on my wensel woodsmans easily catch my fingernail and snap a moderatly stretched rubber band with minimal pressure. I suspect they are plenty sharp enough to hit the woods with. Agreed?
Old 10-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sharp enough?

Agreed.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's weird, but I have some heads and knives that will pop hair easily both out of the box and after resharpening. I also have some (different brands)that will not. But I'd swear they are just as sharp or in some cases even sharper. I don't totally believe in the hair test.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bob, what test do you have faith in?
Old 10-11-2005, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

... also have some (different brands)that will not.
It IS odd. I've got a Gerber EZ-out knife that won't shave hair no matter what, but it'll cut through hide and meat like it's going thru hot butter. Can't figure it out.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wish I had an answer to that rangeball. In general, I scrape a balde across my fingers. If I can feel each individual finger print indentation, I know it's pretty darn sharp. I'll also paper test it. If it cuts and does not tear, it's pretty sharp. But the real answer as Art has pointed out is if it does what it is intended to do. I have a PUMA knive that I can not cut hairs, never could, but it is one of the best knives I own. I also have an Urban Shark that will cut hair, but I don't believe that it is a better knive then the PUMA.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:48 PM

It is hard to get a blade that will shave, not only dose it have to be vary sharp it also needs a little bit of a ruff edge on it. It is hard to explane, but take a look at the razer you shave your face with, the blade is not smoth like on that was honed with a stone. A head sharpened with a file some times will shave better then on that has been sharpened with the best dimond sharping stone. Think of it as a varymicroscopic serated blade.

I hope this makes sense, I have some experiance in sharping knives.

I think the rubber band test is the best, but all my heads shave.