Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sharp Knives

Old 10-15-2006, 03:15 PM
Spike

Default Sharp Knives

Does anybody have any kind of tips for sharpening knives?
Old 10-15-2006, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Sharp Knives

I like the the types that use a clamp on the blade and use different grits of stone that slide on a rod, At first use on a particular knife it make take a while but once the perfect angle is achieved , the knife is a snap to sharpen. It might just me me but I never was anygood with a wet stone and even though the guides take a bit getting used to .....they sharpen an edge to perfection when done properly...scary sharp
Old 10-15-2006, 03:25 PM

Lansky is the one referred to, and they work very well. I actually send mine in after season to have them professionally sharpened.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do the samething as mowbow. My Cutco's get sent inand for $5 I get a brand new knife each year.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:53 PM

Another vote for the lansky. They take an idiot like myself and let him put a razor edge on just about anything in the house. A beginners tip.....use the the "course" until you think you've got the initial edge....then do at least al long again. AND don't be scared to leave alittle 'bite' on the edge...I find that sometimes I when I use the fine stone very very little so that its still kinda 'snaggy' it won't hole the edge as long....but it made short work of cutting meat and any other application where some 'micro-serration' is favorable.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I carry one in the field made by rada. it has two round wheels in an offset mounted on a hard plastic base. you drag the blade through the wheels. it is great for a quick sharpening in the field but the draw back is it takes a good amount of metal off.
Dan
Old 10-16-2006, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I carry one in the field made by rada. it has two round wheels in an offset mounted on a hard plastic base. you drag the blade through the wheels. it is great for a quick sharpening in the field but the draw back is it takes a good amount of metal off.
Yep. Those deals with the carbide blades or wheels are a good way to ruin a good knife in a hurry.

The important thing about sharpening is to maintain a consistent edge angle, and to bring both angles in till they meet in the center. The only thing the doodads like Lansky actually does is force you to maintain that consistent edge angle. Some of us are able to do that freehand on a honing stone. Whether you sharpen freehand or with one of the tools, the whole key is practice.The more you sharpen knives, the better... and quicker...you get at it.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

i do it the old fashioned way. Course, medium and fine stones. id be glad to teach you but its impossible in text. i was taught by my shop teacher. used a lansky for a while...but ill split hairs that the lansky wont even shave now. looking for a leather stroop (sp)..thatll be the ticket if i can find one..

also agree with arthur P. those hand things are slick...and work in a pinch..but i got more free knives coz they were "ruined" then i bought! guys using them on 100$ skinning knives and such..HA. i dont know if the wheels wear out or what. my dad used one when we coon hunted so he could keep the knife sharp while skinning. he gave it to me...it was ruined. i got my dremel and viced it..watched the angle and carefully put edges back on both blades...freehand sharpened it on all 3 stones and it was shaving. THANKS dad!lol

i also agree no matter what it takes practice. i sharpen a couple knives a month...if i dont i cant keep a consistant angle.