Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 long bow vs recurve bow >

long bow vs recurve bow

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

long bow vs recurve bow

Old 10-07-2005, 01:34 AM

Default long bow vs recurve bow

I am looking to start traditional bowhunting and I was curious what the difference between a long bow and a recurve bow is. I was also curious which is prefered for hunting
Old 10-07-2005, 01:37 AM

Default RE: long bow vs recurve bow

i wouldnt know the difference but i prefer recurves
Old 10-07-2005, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: long bow vs recurve bow

The main difference is a longbow's limbs form a smooth arc from one end to the other when the bow is strung.

A recurve's limbs curve back toward the shooter and then REcurve away at the tips. That's why it's called a recurve.

Recurves risers are usually more massive than longbows, but not always. Theyare usually heavier than longbows, but not always. There are many recurves on the market that use longbow-type risers and many longbows that use recurve-type risers. I call them hybrid bows.

Recurvelimbs are thinner and wider than longbows, and so are much more susceptable to twisting and damage, but recurves are still much more reliable and trouble free than any compound.

There used to be a pretty healthy difference in arrow speed between recurves and longbows of equal draw weights. Over the past 10 years though, that gap has ceased to exist. I think the fastest recurve is still quicker than the fastest longbow, but not by much.

For me, I get much better accuracy and consistency with recurves than I can manage with longbows. But Ireally likeshooting longbows. Some people are just the opposite and do their best shooting with longbows.

Basically, which one I prefer for hunting depends entirely on my mood themorning I head out. I'm just as likely to grab the recurve as the longbow. I might even take both.