Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Checkmate Raven

Old 10-05-2005, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Checkmate Raven

As someone who used to shoot a 30" ATA compound, I'm really drawn to the looks of the Raven. The deflexed riser and grip look like they might be what I'm looking for.

I draw 28". How's the stack and finger pinch (I shoot split, one up two under) on the Raven? How's the energy output compared to say a Martin X-200? Any handshock to speak of? How wide are the limbs? Any stability issues, or does it put them where you look?
Old 10-05-2005, 01:31 PM

Default RE: Checkmate Raven

I can't comment on the X-200, as I've never seen or shot one.

The Raven is great fun though- mine is 51@28, and it starts stacking just past 28"- as a rule you shouldn't have trouble with Ravens unless you draw more than 29"

I don't have a chrono, but the bow doesn't seem any slower or faster than any of my other 50lb recurves. Next time we have a chrono set up at the club I'll put some 2016's over it and give you some figures.

The extreme deflex in the riser makes for a very 'pointable' bow- I find the high wrist position pretty comfortable. The throat of the grip is on the big side- you can't really avoid it on this type of bow- that riser takes a lot of strain, so it needs a bit of meat at its weakest point. Again, it's not something I find uncomfortable, but you need to be aware of it if you're coming from compounds.

Like all short bows it WILL let you know when you've screwed up by throwing the arrow WAAAAY over there. But pay attention to the basics and it'll bust nocks with the best of them.

There's a 2-D (when's the last time you shot one of those?) in Devizes, Wilts. on the 32rd, and I'm seriously thinking of taking the Raven- it shoots where I look, and turns heads wherever I take it.

Great bow- drop me a line if you'd like some pics.

Jakes
Old 10-09-2005, 03:45 PM

Default RE: Checkmate Raven

Yup, what he said. Finger pinch isn't a problem at all, but it isn't non existant either for this 29" draw. Fun fun fun bow.

Here's mine Shedua/Black Locust: