Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Targets and okie question. >

Targets and okie question.

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Targets and okie question.

Old 09-23-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Targets and okie question.

Let's just cover two questions with one thread.

I was led here by someone that said this was a good bunch of guys who have some knowledge and like to help.
So here goes.

I've been looking at targets, and want to know what you think.
I need a stand alone that I can move around easily. I have a fenced in backyard that is about 80x90yrds. So it's pretty big. I'm not comfortable with shooting from a spot to the edge so I'm going to shoot from the edge into the center. I've seen several, and without naming brand names ain't no way I'm spending $90-100 for a bloody target!!! I found a pretty decent 18"x18"x18" bag typeat Bass Pro, for around $35, and I belive I will go that way as it's fairly light and has a handle. 3Rivers has a Yellow Hammer Slammer that looks pretty good, but I'd have to wait AND pay extra shipping. Granted I could just get a couple of bag targets and some hay, but I don't want to kill grass (that I happen to work my butt off on). I guess this rather lengthy bit of explination comes down to what do you suggest? Any do-it-yourself ideas?

Second question. Any trad shooting clubs around OKC? Life got in the way for awhile, but it's now time to start shooting!

C-
Old 09-23-2005, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Targets and okie question.

For shooting field tips, I use a big cardboard box stuffed with plastic pallet wrap. I mean jam packed, then duct tape the box shut.

Works like a charm and can be scrounged for free. When you wear the box out, simply get another and start over.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was led here by someone that said this was a good bunch of guys who have some knowledge and like to help.
Come on, Chris. You don't have to be so cryptic. Go ahead and tell 'em it's my fault you found the place.

Guys, C is a buddy of mine that I met on another forum and hadn't heard from in quite awhile. He's good folks and I invited him to join us.

Anyway, for a do-it-yourself kind of bag target... Get a burlap sack and stuff it full of the plastic sacks you get at the store. Cheap trash bags or that plastic wrap they use to keep boxes on pallets in shipping works great too, if you don't want to wait several months for collecting shopping sacks.

You can make a stand for it with PVC pipes from the plumbing store. Just pass a couple of wires through the top of the target and wire it to the top crossbar. Put a couple of eye bolts in the top crossbar to hang the target from, for a more professional look.

When the bag gets shot up and it's guts start falling out, just get another bag and stuff the whole thing - shot up bag and all -down into the new one. It makes it easier to stuff the old bag into the new one if you put the old bag inside a trash bag first.

Glad you came on board!

Old 09-23-2005, 11:03 AM

Thanks guys,

Yeah, Arthur led me here. So you can blame him for all the questions and attempts at humor that usually fall flat!

These forums keep me excited about shooting.

I have a bag target in the garage, so I can just build me a stand for it. PVCis a good idea. I thought of building something, but couldn't come up with a material that was easy to work with and fairly easy on the arrows. And I have walmart bags running out of my ears, so think I'll go down and get some burlap. Should be able to come up with something!! Just gotta use your head a little (how enlightend I already feel!!).
I want 4 sides to shoot at because my yard has a good slope to it that will give me all kinds of different views and angles. Something is going to get shot one way or another tonight!
C-

OH yeah, what's this fawn business? You guys don't shoot if I have spots do ya?
Old 09-24-2005, 05:39 AM

Welcome C n OKC, you're definitely in good company.....

I can't really help you with do it yourself targets...... The only thing I would suggest is to do a google search, I bet you will find a day's worth of information about building your own targets.....

I don't care for bag targets of any sort, but that's just my preference. I find my wood arrows get caught in the burlap sack and are hard to pull out.

I "think" you get a Morrel Yellow Jacket for about $40.......I've heard they are good targets...

I bought a $100 block target back in the spring and it is just about wore out already[:@] It MIGHT make it until next spring.......

I also like to shoot 3-D targets a good bit. When they get worn out, I just spray some liquid foam in the holes and let it harden. It works well for a few weeks then I do it again...
Old 09-24-2005, 08:01 AM

I have a bag target I payed around 25 bucks for at Gander MT, and it is holding up great. I tryed to make a self stufed target but I ended up with a target that was under stufed and to small. It takes alot of plastic to fill a target.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I wanted something I can shoot from all angles, I'd get a block of marine styrofoam. It's nice and dense and stops arrows real well. One advantage it has over a bag target is you can shoot styrofoam with broadheads. Another is you can take a photo of your boss, blow the photo up, print it off and use his nose as a target. I've actually done that, and never shot better. Really helps your concentration.[8D]

It can get a little messy when it's starting to get shot up, but you just pick up the larger chunks and make a few passes with a mulching mower... For one guy with a stickbow, he can put thousands of shots into it before it starts shedding a lot of white stuff into his yard. Naturally, shooting broadheads will wear it out quicker than just shooting field points. Set it on one of those garden dollies so you can move it around easier and not kill the grass.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

In reference to what Guss said, I have that same bag target. It seems to get me by.