Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Carbons and bare shaft tuning >

Carbons and bare shaft tuning

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Carbons and bare shaft tuning

Old 09-15-2005, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Carbons and bare shaft tuning

Since I had some shafts with vanes I want to refletch with feathers, I tried something.

Shafts are CE terminators (black) 45-60, 29" long nock to insert and have a 125 grain tip screwed in. I was sure they were flying well, didn't seem to be doing much in flight and I was pretty happy with my shooting results.

Enter the bare shaft. I stripped one of vanes, turned my box target around to the unused side, backed up to 10 yards, took aim and let fly. Nock point seems to be correct, but the nock end of the shaft was to the right in the target. I repeated this several more times, with the same result.

This indicates shafts are too stiff, right? 125 grain is the heaviest tip I have on hand. How much heavier might I need to go to bring the nock end back in line in the target?
Old 09-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Carbons and bare shaft tuning

You're sure you were shooting square on to the target, and not off at a bit of an angle, I assume.

Yeah, stiff arrows stick nock right for a right handed shooter. But I'd be more interested in seeing how a bare shaft groups with fletched shafts rather than just going by that. Sometimes the target itself can kick an arrow off on an angle when it sticks.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was just reading something similar at OL's site.

I'll try it this afternoon, if possible.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got a chance to fling several.

Bare shafts definitely impact left of fletched shafts. From 10 yards, about 3-4" left.

How much heavier in point weight do you think I'll have to go up from my 125s to get the right spine?

For the record, CE terminator at 29" nock to insert with 125 grain tips from a Martin X-200 recurve 45# at 28" drawn to 28"...
Old 09-15-2005, 02:38 PM

Just make them longer [:-]

[8D]
Old 09-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

No can do. Arrows were bought cut and inserts installed.

I have no problem with using a heavier head. Just would love to get an idea how much heavier to avoid the trial and error expense.

Old 09-16-2005, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Someone talk me down.

I was thinking about this last night, and why couldn't I get a bolt that would fit the tip adapter and several washers and a few nuts and play around with different weights that way?

Anyone ever done this?
Old 09-16-2005, 08:33 PM

I tried shooting some wally world special 29" 45/60 terminators from a 49@ 27" black widow psav.I found that even with 175 grains they were too stiff.I figured I would need at least a 50 grain weighted insert and a 175-200 grain head to get em right.You could get some brass washers and just add them behind the fp see what happens.

CB
Old 09-18-2005, 07:03 AM

Gold tip makes an internal weight system. 3 rivers also sells internal weight systems.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:20 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Carbons and bare shaft tuning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.