Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Bear recurves

Old 09-13-2005, 05:41 AM

Default Bear recurves

I know there are a lot of bear recurve collectors out there, but I was wondering how the older bears shoot? Are there any that shoot better or worse than the others? For a hunting bow, which would you select and why?
Old 09-13-2005, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bear recurves

No question. A 69 Super Kodiak takedown. No special reason other than that's the one bow I've always wanted and never got. And, of course, it's the one that's most collectable/most expensive nowadays.[]

Really, my first choice would be a Kodiak. It's a stable, great shooting bow, long but not too long. Perfect hunting bow. Second would be the Grizzly, mostly a no frills version of the Kodiak. For someone with a sub-29" draw length the Kodiak Magnum is a humdinger of a bow for hunting in the thick stuff. I had one that I loved playing with. Even busted a pig with it. But it was way too short for my draw length and I finally sold it. Wish I hadn't.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:10 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

The Black Bear is fairly common, reasonably priced, and a good shooter. I think the one's I have seen/shot were late 60's/early 70's models. I also liked the Tigercat. A Tigercat was my first recurve. Normally not a very collectable bow, but I found out (after I had traded it off) that the one I had was pretty rare due to the woods used in it. Kicked myself many times over for not keeping it--mainly because it was my first. I was young and dumb and needed the money for a longbow. At least I'm older now.......

Chad
Old 10-01-2005, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

No question. A 69 Super Kodiak takedown. No special reason other than that's the one bow I've always wanted and never got. And, of course, it's the one that's most collectable/most expensive nowadays.[]

Really, my first choice would be a Kodiak. It's a stable, great shooting bow, long but not too long. Perfect hunting bow. Second would be the Grizzly, mostly a no frills version of the Kodiak. For someone with a sub-29" draw length the Kodiak Magnum is a humdinger of a bow for hunting in the thick stuff. I had one that I loved playing with. Even busted a pig with it. But it was way too short for my draw length and I finally sold it. Wish I hadn't.
This guy is on the money. I've got three supkodiaks, and my dad hasa 69 kodiak. It's probably his favorite bow in the entire world. I have a 2003 superkodiak, and I think it is fabulous.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:55 AM
Typical Buck

I have a one piece 70# kodiak. Its wierd looking thow its like a long bow with recurves on the last 6" on each side I haven't shot it yet but i'll let you know it was made in 1952 in grayling michigan and my Dad got it for 5 bucks at a yard sale, he gave it to me . It'll have to shoot pretty darn good to take the place of my Chec-mate Falcon.