Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

My next bow...

Old 09-11-2005, 11:30 AM

Default My next bow...

Hello all, although hunting bow season opens up in 4 days (thank god) im already planning for next season...what is wrong with me?

I am planning on buying a new recurve soon, and i was wondering what you all thought of A- the Bear Super Kodiak, or B- the Martin Hunter. does anyone have any opinions? Im going to shoot them both as soon as I can, and was just curious if anyone had any preferences...

Anyway, thanks in advance, and good luck to you all this season...
Old 09-11-2005, 02:35 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: My next bow...

I haven't shot a lot of the new Bear bows, but going on the ones I have shot I'd pick the Martin. The new Bears just don't have the feel that the old ones do.

Chad
Old 09-11-2005, 02:44 PM

Thanks, i was already leaning toward the Martin a bit anyway. Im a big fan of my X-200 already so...

I did a bit more research, and found "Ragim" bows...i shot one a while back, and I remember loving it, but wasnt sure about them. Has anyone else heard of them? I really like the looks of the Hunter Mangart model...

Thanks again
Old 09-11-2005, 02:55 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I've heard of them, but that's all. Don't recall ever seeing or shooting one. Sorry I'm not more help there.

Chad
Old 09-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

The ragim bows are internature/samick....Korean made...the PSE bows are made at the same place...some of the "higher end" models are pretty nice for the $...nothing special...very utilitarian...certainly not a custom bow by any means....but for someone on a budget they are OK.

I have had both the Super Kodiak, and the Martin Hunter. I much preferred the SK. For me it was much easier to shoot, and had a bit more performance. The thingis tho, there are quite a few very good value custom bows on the market these days for the same price...Chek-Mate is one and I see alot of custom longbows in the 3-4 hundred dollar range too these days. I'd personally, look into the CM's or some of the other bowyers before I'd make a decision.

Old 09-13-2005, 06:04 PM

Yeah, I did a bit of research on the Ragim, umm, yeah...nevermind that...

I finally got out to shoot a few bows at Bass Pro Shops (I had to teach the guy how to use a bowstringer..."Pro Shop" my @$$) Anyway, I shot both the Martin and the Bear, Im likin' the Martin a bit more, a little smoother...

I also shot the Savanah, and was very impressed. It was by far my favorite bow there, maybe one of the sweetest Ive ever shot...I hate to keep doin' this to you guys, but... any opinions on the Savanah?

Thanks/ Im sorry again...
Old 09-13-2005, 09:31 PM

Whitehair, I bought a Savannah this year. Great bow. Its smooth and pretty fast. I don't care about speed too much, so I haven't chrono'd it. However, I shoot a recurve much better, and about 2 weeks ago I got a new chek mate firebird. This is about the fourth time I've tried to switch to longbow, and probably the last. I feel I owe it to the game I hunt to shoot the most accurate bow that I can. Hope this helps.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:20 PM

the martin hunter is an excellent bow. you may get them to do "custom" work such as making the grip how you wish and having your name put on the bow at additional cost.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:00 AM

Take a look at www.riversedgerecurves.com at a starting price of 385.00 This is a steel. They have try before you buy program also.