Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Rate me..........

Old 08-31-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Rate me..........

Since I'm new to the trad way of shooting, I have no real way to guage my progress......

I shot my first 3D shoot last weekend and had a blast..... The average distance was about 20yds, which I thought was long...... There were 2-3 over 20 and 2-3 under 20.....But for the most part they seemed to be in the 20yd range.... I scored a 214 out of 30 targets and ended up in the middle of pack....... Had 4 complete misses, 4 twelves and 5 tens..... I started out really well, but the back half killed me...... The back half accounted for all my misses and most of my 5's.....

So.......... is that about where you would expect me to be after starting back in March?

Where should I be by next summer if I keep practicing regularly?
Old 08-31-2005, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rate me..........

Generally, if I can come in with my scorecard holding 80% of the possible max score for the shoot, I feel okay about it. Even then, there are always at least a few shots during the shoot I wouldn't actually take on a live animal, so I don't really worry about it that much if I miss those and come in a few percentage points low.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:53 PM

Well then I got about 59% of the possible..... I got some major improving to do to get 80%
Old 08-31-2005, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I got some major improving to do...
Don't we all... That's what keeps it from getting boring though.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:36 PM

Didnt even know people keeped score on 3d. Most of the targets at my range are so old its hard to tell what ring you are in. I dont think the kill zone on most of those targets is vary good. The 10 ring is way to high for me to aim at. I figure aim low, if for some reason I shoot low then it will be a clean miss,if I shoot to high then I still hit both lungs, and if by some mirical by god I hit what I am looking at, right threw the heart and some of the lungs.

It has worked in the past.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:05 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It's hard to gauge, because some shoots are a whole lot harder than others, even at closer distances--targets set at angles, obstacles, uphill/downhill shots, courses that will wear you out just walking them, etc.

Not counting 12's, you shot a little over 71%-- on an average course (not killer hard, not all gimme shots) that ain't bad at all. I try to stay at 80% or better (most of the courses I shoot don't count 12 rings), but I don't always make it.

3-D is just a game--have fun with it, and use it for practice. Like Guss mentioned, you have to keep in mind when you are hunting the scoring rings aren't always in the place you would want to hit live game. However, being able to hit where you want is a good thing, and 3-D helps--it also gives you varied shot situations, and shots on territory you may not as familiar with as you are your back yard or local range, so you learn to judge distance better.

Chad