Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Broadhead recommendation? >

Broadhead recommendation?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Broadhead recommendation?

Old 08-25-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Broadhead recommendation?

Now that I have my arrows flying good, I was thinking about trying some Ribtek broadheads. I like the primitive look and from what I've read (manufacturer propaganda) it looks like they're pretty effective. When I hunted withrecurve years ago I used Bodkins but they are hard to find and were pretty hard to sharpen. I want to try a 2 blade head and the Ribtek caught my eye. Does anyone have any info on them or recommendations.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:02 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Broadhead recommendation?

I really like the Ribtek--sharpen pretty easily, hold an edge, tough, and fly great. They are priced so it won't hurt too much to use them for rabbits and other small game. They have proven themselves to be deadly on everything from rabbits to armidillos to deer with me, and they have been used on large dangerous game with great results. I just got an e-mail from Col. Graham a couple of days ago--he's out chasing water buffalo with a new heavy head he's developing. Can't wait to see that one--I plan to use it on my own trip to Oz.

Chad
Old 08-26-2005, 02:14 AM

I'll givethema try. Do you use them for rabbits just to stay proficient with broadheads or do you have some tough rabbits down there? I used to get these fragile Okie rabbits with a BB gun as a kid. I can't wait to get some snow on the ground here and try some with some blunts or Judo heads. The rabbit population has exploded around here and they're pretty good fried or BBQ'd. Thanks for the info on the Ribteks
Old 08-26-2005, 06:19 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I went to broadheads for rabbits several years ago. It does help to practice with them, but the main reason for me was because I lost too many with other heads. I tried hard rubber blunts, judo's, homemade blunts (.38 casings with finishing nails running crossways), etc. I killed a boatload of them with my old Crossman 21 air rifle, but lost several with blunts flung from an 82# longbow. I plan on trying out the Ace hex-head on bunnies next--I think it will do the trick--but even a marginal hit with a broadhead will usually take them out quick.

Chad
Old 08-26-2005, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've had a hankering to try Ribteks, just haven't gotten around to it. I still have a few of the old Pearson heads that Ribtek copied, but I never liked the way they fit. I always had to whittle flats on my arrows' tapers to get time mounted. Ribbies fit better, I hope?
Old 08-26-2005, 09:19 AM

Anyone have any experience with Stinger broadheads by Magnus? I've been thinking bout trying them. I like the fact that they are cut on contact, but the blades can also be replaced if needed. What do you guys think?
Old 08-26-2005, 01:59 PM

I will be using Grizzlies this year mainly becasue they are one of a few heads that at 160+ grns - Will use them for whitetail and hopefully post the results - Nice thing is they fly as good as a field point -

Mike
Old 08-26-2005, 02:35 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I haven't tried the Stingers, but Magnus has a reputation for great broadheads. Grizzlys are tough, but can be tricky to sharpen. Ribteks come in 100, 110, 125, 130, 135, 145, 160, and 190 grains. The newheads they are experimenting with now are 150-315 grains, but not sure yet which ones will be produced. I think Ace also has a 160 grain broadhead--another very good one.

Art, I've never had to modify a taper to get mine to fit. Some folks don't like the ribs (as I understand it, the new ones will have solid ferrules), but they haven't caused me any problems.

Lots of great broadheads on the market these days.

Chad
Old 09-11-2005, 03:54 PM

Stingers suck...they are the cheapest broadheads at walmart. if you're going for that type of broadhead get thunderheads or muzzys or if you're feeling cheap i really like cabela's broadheads.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: EvBouret
Stingers suck...they are the cheapest broadheads at walmart.
I'm confused.

Cheapest as in less expensive, or do you have issues with their quality? I wish our walmart stocked stingers...

Quick Reply: Broadhead recommendation?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.