Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Longbow advise wanted

Old 08-17-2005, 05:46 AM

Default Longbow advise wanted

I've been a compound shooter for 15 years and looking to get a inexpensive longbow just to play around with. From there, who knows? Maybe I'll get hooked. I plan to get a inexpensive one to start. I've been looking at a "Rudder Algonquin" bow for $145 online. It'll take them 2 months to make it. Or my local shop has a "Internature Viper Deluxe" for $210 in stock. Which one would be better in the long run? I don't care about the small price difference. My plan is a 45 or 50 lb. pull. Thanks all!!!
Old 08-17-2005, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Longbow advise wanted

I don't know much about the custom bow that you mentioned.The viper has been mentioned here a few times and although, I do not own one, supposively, it is a decent bow (maybe do a search). There is an individual here that owns one. If you want to go to $315 you may want to consider a checkmate custom longbow.

Other then that welcome! And be warnned, the traditional bug BITES!
Old 08-17-2005, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Rudder Algonquin is an all wood selfbow made from hickory, made like bows were made all the way back to the Stone Age. The Viper is a modern laminated wood bow backed by fiberglass. The Viper will draw smoother, shoot faster and with less hand shock than the Algonquin. Not saying the Rudder bow is 'bad', just different. Of the two, I'd recommend getting the Viper for now. Leave the Algonquin till you feel the urge to go a little more primitive.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:11 AM

I own a viper deluxe longbow and it is a great shooter and i plan to hunt deer with it this year it is quick, accurate, with very low handshock it is a great buy.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:14 PM

Arther is right. The rudder Algonkian bow is really nice, That is my next bow but with the art-snake skin on it. Later on you can really upgrade by get a custom bow.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:22 PM

I have 2 Rudderbows and Iam making another one.
I find them excellent specially if you get the bamboo/hickory it is silent without any silencers and shoots without any vibration at all, well worth the money.

Just don't tell them i say so or their price might go up, LOL