Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Best broadhead for a Recurve >

Best broadhead for a Recurve

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Best broadhead for a Recurve

Old 09-23-2002, 08:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default Best broadhead for a Recurve

I am going to go deer hunting for the first year with a recurve, and I was wondering, which is a better broadhead for a recurve. I was going to use my 125 grain thunder heads, but then I heard double blade broadheads are better. What are the pros and cons of each for recurve. And what grain size should I use. Thanks

Leland Bunting
Old 09-23-2002, 11:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Best broadhead for a Recurve

In my opinion, the most important thing is that your bow is well tuned to the arrows that you'll be using and that the broadheads hit right where you want them to. Plus, the better your arrows fly, the better your penetration will be.

Depending on what weight bow you are shooting, you probably won't have any problems sending an arrow clean through a deer, no matter what type of broadhead you're using, as long as your arrows are flying true. I like the Thunderhead 125s, I shot them for many years. Now I shoot 2 blade Zwickey Eskimos. As long as they are scary sharp, they'll do the job you want them to do.

I might suggest that you shoot nothing but broadheads from here on out until your hunting starts. It pays to know what you have to do to get the arrow to it's intended target under any shot situation that will arise. I shoot mine year round. Matter of fact, I rarely shoot field points unless I'm at the range, which doesn't allow broadhead use.

Good luck on your season.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good advice from Wahya.Make sure your bow is tuned and you're getting perfect arrow flight.I use the Zwickey Eskimo 125gr 2-blade and have gotten pass-thrus on all but one-that one I shot it thru the shoulder blade and lodged it into the far blade.
Old 09-24-2002, 06:04 AM

Splitear_Leland,
Take the time to sharpen the tips of the thunderhead on a stone also.
The little time necessary will help penetration alot.
As has been said, practice with the broadheads now and resharpen the tip and change the blades before you go hunting or have a set for practice and another set for hunting.
Good Luck!

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!
Old 09-24-2002, 08:12 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Thunderheads are an excellent choice.

JRW
Old 09-24-2002, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

If your Thunderheads are working for you, there's no reason to change. If it ain't broke don't fix it eh? If you'd like to try a two blade anyways, Zwickeys and Magnus are nice. Sine you're using Thunderheads I'm assuming you're using aluminum or carbon shafts. (I'm not aware of a glue on Thunderhead.) I shot steelforce heads for a little bit. They're shaving sharp out of the package, but they didn't fly with my field points for me. That's about the only screw-in broadhead I've any experience with. I like the broadhead wrenches for sharpening. I don't know the name of mine, but a similar one I believe is called acusharp. It's the same thing as Redi-edge. I like them because you don't have to worry so much about keeping the same angle, and because those teeth sharpen really well. In about 20 passes with one it'll be shaving. I hope you've a good season.

God bless,
Brandan

Old 09-25-2002, 01:51 AM

I shoot 125grn Zwickey Eskimos as well. That's all I've shot for the last 25yrs. Many years ago I saw a rep do a demo of the Eskimos. He was shooting them THRU! concrete cinder blocks- I went in the store and bought a dozen!
They fly just as well out of my compounds as they do out of my recurves

CaptJack
Be a better Hunter - Get a better Shot