Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Advise on first pull of the trigger >

Advise on first pull of the trigger

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Advise on first pull of the trigger

Old 07-13-2007, 12:35 PM

Default Advise on first pull of the trigger

I picked up a 257wby mag recently and am going to go out and sight it in. I am shooting it with a burris 4-14X40 scope and am going to mount a harris bi-pod on it as well (probably in the near future). Does anyone have any advise on what steps to take when shooting it for the first time? Is there a right and wrong way to begin shooting a gun?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2007, 12:49 PM

Default RE: Advise on first pull of the trigger

My new guns just get taken out and shot like always! If you are interested, you might print off the steps for one of many barrel break-in procedures. Make sure you clean your new gun to get any excess oil off, and make sure the stock and scope screws are tight and have a fun time with it
Old 07-13-2007, 10:39 PM

Used to whenever I'd get a new firearm, long or handgun, I'd always besuper nervous on the first pull and sometimes, like in the case of my .270 and my CVA Bobcat, there wasa massive amount of anxiety because then centerfire rifles and muzzle loaders were totally foreign to me.

But now that I'm growing more and more accustomed to a variety of guns, typicallywhen I get a new one or shoot someone else's I just give 'er a quick look over and make sure everything seems to be in working order, load a round, and then it's simply sight alignment - trigger squeeze.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure the barrel is clear, then shoot.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might think I am paranoid, but I always shoot the first shot out of a tire. I always want to put the first shot down range for safety!!! Just put your rifle in a tire and pull the trigger with a string. Easy to do, and a safe way to do it. Tom.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

You might think I am paranoid, but I always shoot the first shot out of a tire. I always want to put the first shot down range for safety!!! Just put your rifle in a tire and pull the trigger with a string. Easy to do, and a safe way to do it. Tom.
I do this with muzzleloaders I've made, particularly on ones in which I have installed the breech plug myself, but NOT with a rifle that is proof-tested CORRECTLY by the maker! Believe me, Weatherby cannot afford to sell a rifle that is going to blow up at the first shot with factory ammo!

Yes, I do have some advise! Even if the scope has been bore sighted or adjusted with an optical collimator (bore scope), fire your first shot as 25 yards at a big target, so you KNOW that you are "on paper" and can make your adjustments from there. If necessary, adjust your scope at 25 yards so it is close enough that you are CERTAIN the first round you fire at 100 yards will hit on the target someplace where you can see the hole, allowing you to make precise corrections at that distance.

I have seen guys START OUT shooting a new rifle at 100 yards, "It was boresighted by the gunsmith", or some such bull,then proceed to empty a whole box on expensive ammo and still not have the thing sighted in properly!